Lechuga con anchoas – Lettuce hearts with anchovies

6 Jun

Oh so simple...

This one is so quick and simple, it doesn´t even need a recipe!  Perhaps just a quick explanation, though.  This is served in Andalucía as a pre meal appetiser in the summer or when unexpected guests pop round and it´s drink time.  Add a plate of slice Spanish cheese, some jamon or salchichon (salami), a cool drink of your choice and you´ve served a super speedy tapas selection without even really trying!

Wash and cut a lettuce heart into eighths, open a tin of anchovies (in olive oil if possible) and lay an anchovy over each slice, pour the oil from the tin over, add a squeeze of lemon or white wine vinegar and serve.  These are picked up with the fingers, or little cocktail forks if you´re feeling refined, then just munched and crunched.

If you can´t stomach anchovies, replace with a strip of roasted red pepper.

18 Responses to “Lechuga con anchoas – Lettuce hearts with anchovies”

1. Linda June 6, 2011 at 13:47 #

I love this appetizer idea! I could eat the anchovies, but I’m glad you suggested the roasted peppers as my guests may not be as adventerous!

• chicaandaluza June 6, 2011 at 16:44 #

Yes, I think you love them or you hate them! Personally (I think you can tell), I love them 🙂

2. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 6, 2011 at 14:13 #

I love the idea of alternating the two for those who have an anchovy aversion. Some people are just odd! Your anchovies look amazing too.

• chicaandaluza June 6, 2011 at 16:46 #

We´re lucky that we get lovely anchovies here, and not too expensive either. Also, a slightly larger anchovy which is sold fresh, which is then “pickled” at home – will have to do a post on it one day soon as it´s the right time of year for them.

3. thefooddoctor June 6, 2011 at 18:20 #

Such an easy appetizer..it looks lovely!

4. JamieAnne June 6, 2011 at 20:39 #

I’ve never “knowingly” had anchovies. This looks good, but I’ve got squeamish guys…red peppers is a great alternative.

• chicaandaluza June 7, 2011 at 06:55 #

As a fan of anchovies (and in fact of any strong, salty flavours) I´ve always thought that people who don´t like them are missing out! But of course, I understand and I often do this with red peppers just to make a change. Looks so pretty and tastes lovely too. Am going to try to make your overnight oatmeal bread this week as I found some quick cook oats yesterday – will let you know how it goes!

• JamieAnne June 7, 2011 at 07:26 #

I’ve had smoked oysters. I like them, but I’ve never had anchovies. (maybe in Worcestershire sauce)
        I hope you enjoy the bread. I look forward to hearing about it.

• chicaandaluza June 7, 2011 at 08:45 #

if I could mail you some without causing a security scare, I´d do it, just so that you can have the experience. Having said that. smoked oyesters sounds wonderful and very decadent! Will let you know how the bread goes. Is it really early in the morning where you are?!

5. chaiselongue1 June 6, 2011 at 20:58 #

This looks delicious – so summery and fresh. I love anchovies and the fresh boquerones too, either pickled or fried.

• chicaandaluza June 7, 2011 at 06:57 #

Oh yes, I loved boquerones too. Am hoping to buy some soon to pickle and will post the recipe, but fried with a squeeze of lemon juice, a little pot of alioli and a cold glass of something white….heaven!

6. thecompletecookbook June 7, 2011 at 05:06 #

Perfection on a plate right there! FABULOUS! I could eat an entire plate of that all on my own.

• chicaandaluza June 7, 2011 at 06:59 #

And you could eat it without any guilt whatsoever!

7. trevorhunt June 7, 2011 at 06:13 #

Hang on for me!!! I’ll be right over…these look lush! Hey…the sun is shining again…better go and do some work!

• chicaandaluza June 7, 2011 at 06:58 #

Am just pouring the drinks….! The sun is shining this morning here but I can see rain clouds over the mountain. “Sigh” Have had enough of this temperamental weather, where´s our summer?!

8. joshuafagans June 11, 2011 at 04:34 #

How is it that the Spanish are so good at putting together wonderful little bites that are so delicious and often quite simple? Wonderful idea!

• chicaandaluza June 11, 2011 at 08:31 #

Aha – the magic of Tapas! Thanks for stopping by, loved your site too when I “visited”.