Pork Ribs in Barbecue Sauce

11 Jun

Wait for them to cool down...!

Once of the nicest things about doing a blog is that you get to “meet” new people from all over the world and share a special little piece of their lives.  In this case it´s a lot of delicious recipes and talk about gardens and food and drink – all my favourite things!

We barbecue a lot here up our mountain, and finally invested in a gas barbecue last year.  I know, to the purists, it´s not exactly the same as using wood or carbon (although we do sometimes use this method too) but it´s so quick and easy and works well for us.  Mostly we keep things simple – a sprinkle of salt, some herbs, a dash of olive oil if the food needs it and we´re off!

I personally adore barbecue sauce, but rarely make it.  Big Man always insists he´s not a big fan of sauces, but whenever I make them he seems to enjoy them greatly.  I saw Greg´s delicious barbecue sauce over on his blog Rufus´ Food and Spirits Guide and thought I´d adapt it a little to make my own.  I only adapted it as we can´t get hold of all the ingredients here!  I only made a small batch and regretted it.  Big Man said on tasting the ribs and sauce “Ay, ¡que buena es esta salsa Americana!” which roughly translates to “Wow, this American sauce is so good!”.  Approval all round….

This was my version

• A cup of chopped, peeled tomatoes
  • Half a cup of ketchup
  • 2 teaspoons of tomato purée
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons of hot chili powder plus one dried chili
  • 1 teaspoon of English mustard powder
  • 4 tablespoons of molasses (miel de caña)
  • A few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt and pepper
  • Quarter cup of water

All I did was put all the ingredients together in a pot and simmer for about 10 minutes.  I kept some back and with about two thirds of the sauce I marinated my ribs.  It was meant to be overnight but we ended up eating them 2 days later.  I don´t think they suffered from the experience.

There´s nothing like a good long soak in the bath!

When we barbecued the ribs, I heated the remaining sauce and we dipped our ribs into it, licked our fingers and had very messy but happy faces.

16 Responses to “Pork Ribs in Barbecue Sauce”

1. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 11, 2011 at 21:16 #

Hooray for salsa Americana! That made me and Katherine laugh, in a good way. Glad you liked it!

• chicaandaluza June 12, 2011 at 08:08 #

Yes, I had a giggle too. We salute the States and its wonderful bbq sauce!!

2. ....RaeDi June 12, 2011 at 02:35 #

Americana, you will have to try Kansas City Barbecue Sauce next, I am planning on doing some ribs here soon and that is what we have already decided to use this time and ‘Rufus’ I read your sauce recipe and it is on the list too! These look so delicious and finger licking….thank you for stopping by and I look forward to reading your blog and so far I have enjoyed everything so much, I love words… hope to see you again sometime too….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza June 12, 2011 at 08:08 #

Oh yes please, I´m up for Kansas City Barbecue Sauce! Thank you for your kind words too…

3. thecompletecookbook June 12, 2011 at 12:30 #

Your take on Rufus’ sauce is great. The ribs looks like they would fall of the bone.

• chicaandaluza June 12, 2011 at 19:03 #

The meat did fall off the bone – right into our hungry mouths! 🙂

4. chaiselongue1 June 12, 2011 at 20:38 #

That looks wonderful, and the extra marinading time probably just made them even more delicious!

• chicaandaluza June 13, 2011 at 07:23 #

It probably did help – a couple of extra hours in a marinade never did meat any harm!

5. JamieAnne June 13, 2011 at 00:33 #

Love it! Greg’s sauce is awesome. I love that you made it your own.
    Beautiful looking ribs.
    I think maybe I need to send you a care package of all the American items you want to try.
    🙂

• chicaandaluza June 13, 2011 at 07:22 #

MAybe we could start “Virtual Care Packages” …I could start with sending you anchovies 🙂

• JamieAnne June 17, 2011 at 02:49 #

Ha! Deal, I wonder if there are rules for sending food…must investigate.

6. Rachel June 13, 2011 at 04:00 #

Bet it would be good on chicken as well… I’m hungry! Mmmm…

7. Christina August 18, 2011 at 03:36 #

Yummy! I love making homemade barbecue sauce. This one looks great! 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 18, 2011 at 09:36 #

Ii was pretty tasty – we have a lot to learn from the Americans!

1. A Challenging Challenge | Chica Andaluza - August 16, 2011

[…] deserved.  I suppose a lot of the early ones when I had less people viewing, but I think it was my Pork Ribs in Barbecue Sauce.  Nearly everyone likes a BBQ […]