Chickie Update

10 Jun

One day old....aaaaaah!

Ok, so I could be posting about the delicious ribs in barbecue sauce I cooked today, inspired by Greg´s recipe over at  Rufus´Food and Spirits Guide, but more of that another day. They were superb though!

Have been down amongst the chickens and olives again and little brown (well, she´s more honey coloured) hen was quite happy for me to have a little cuddle with our new chickie whilst she had a well earned snack.

S/he (I´m not quite sure) is grey (like his/her daddy, the big grey cockerel) and honey coloured, totally gorgeous.  I read that Japan is the most advanced country in the world for training “Chicken Sexers”.  My, that would be a career!  It seems you have to look at the one day old chicks´ nether regions (and it has to be a pretty good look). If you see a little “button” it´s a cockerel, if not it´s a hen.  Did try this once, but as I´m the kind of woman who often misses motorway junctions and road signs, it wasn´t something I excelled at…

Chicken number two, who is an agressive little thing, has her first chick hatching out as we speak.  She still has another three eggs, so hopefuly between now and tomorrow, there will be more.

Sitting and waiting.....

Ok, enough chicken speak, but you can all go “aaaaah” now!

23 Responses to “Chickie Update”

1. JamieAnne June 10, 2011 at 15:16 #

So cute!!

• chicaandaluza June 10, 2011 at 17:25 #

I know, I´m a big softie when it comes to little chicks!

2. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 10, 2011 at 16:10 #

Pretty cute! Any post that uses the term chicken sexers beats out BBQ. Thanks for the shout out, Can’t wait to see how the sauce worked for you. Also, on the links. Go to Help in WordPress and type in links. Should be a tutorial there.

• chicaandaluza June 10, 2011 at 17:26 #

Tee hee! I may have visitors to this post hoping for something saucier than BBQ ribs! Thanks for the advice, will give it a go, but I think it´s something on my laptop that´s preventing me from inserting links…am going to try the help you suggested. And the BBQ sauce was wonderful, I only made a small batch as a trial, and it´s all gone!

3. thefooddoctor June 10, 2011 at 19:00 #

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah indeed! my kids are going crazy over that cute chickie 🙂

• chicaandaluza June 10, 2011 at 21:22 #

I´ve sent these photos to my niece and nephew and godchildren – they all want to come over and play with the chicks!

4. chaiselongue1 June 10, 2011 at 20:07 #

It’s sweet and sooooo tiny…and there’ll be more tomorrow!

• chicaandaluza June 10, 2011 at 21:22 #

It´s silly, but I´m so excited so see how many more we´ll get. Can´t check now till morning though 😦

5. trevorhunt June 11, 2011 at 06:47 #

Its the Good Life! Is that the name of a song? Anyway, very jealous. I would love to raise some chicks but l think a cockerel is necessary? Couldn’t cope with that! A huge seagull pinched some eggs the other day when l placed them on the hen coop roof to take in later! Its a constant struggle here!!!!

• chicaandaluza June 11, 2011 at 08:35 #

Wasn´t it that programme with Felicity Kendall? We´re like Tom and Barbara here – I wish! And yes, you do need a cockerel to get romatic with the ladies, otherwise you just have unfertilised eggs. They´re pretty noisy but as everyone round here keeps at least one, we just joined in. You could always swap some of your eggs with a neighbour who keep a cockerel, put them under a broody hen and wait 21 days. Horrible seagull, they´re so greedy (and clever). I hate it when I break an egg accidentally, as I now have such a good appreciation of all the work our little ladies have to put in to lay one for us.

6. thecompletecookbook June 11, 2011 at 08:49 #

Precious little nunu. Amazing how “baby” anything makes us all melty.
    Enjoy the weekend,
    PS. Well done on sorting the link thing-a-ma-bob out. 😉

• chicaandaluza June 11, 2011 at 17:36 #

It´s true, we all go a little soppy! We´re up to 3 chicks and there was one that didn´t make it 😦 I think we´re going to have to wait now until the middle of next week (I think) for the final batch.
      So relieved I got the links sorted – thanks to you too for pointing me in the right direction. It seems I was missing out one (critical) part of the process – duh! Now I´ve cracked it I feel stupidly proud.

• TikkTok June 13, 2011 at 15:48 #

It’s called chicken math, lol. I don’t know of anyone who hasn’t been affected by it, lol. It is real, and I ♥♥♥ it! 😆

• chicaandaluza June 13, 2011 at 18:53 #

And it looks like we have the same Andalucian Blues (although you´ve had to say good bye to Jasmine 😦 ) wish we could send you some of our eggs. We have just had two chicks born who look like they´re Andalucian´s – very cute. But we have a mix of chickens, so we can´t be sure yet!

• TikkTok June 13, 2011 at 19:16 #

chicaandaluza says:
        June 13, 2011 at 6:53 pm
        And it looks like we have the same Andalucian Blues (although you´ve had to say good bye to Jasmine ) wish we could send you some of our eggs. We have just had two chicks born who look like they´re Andalucian´s – very cute. But we have a mix of chickens, so we can´t be sure yet!

Awesome! I am seriously ready for some acreage! This would be a breed I would definitely work on, since over here, they are threatened status: http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/andalusian.html.

Enjoy your babies!

7. charlywalker June 11, 2011 at 13:26 #

From One Day Old Chick to another………..great blog!

spread the humor:charlywalker.wordpress.com

• chicaandaluza June 11, 2011 at 17:37 #

Well Happy One Day to you! Glad you enjoyed what saw, will pop over for a visit to yours soon.

8. Olga SE June 18, 2011 at 16:52 #

So cute!!! And how can I eat eggs after that?

• chicaandaluza June 18, 2011 at 18:28 #

Oh you can, you just have a better appreciation of them and the hard work that goes into producing an egg!

9. salima aqiqah December 14, 2015 at 03:27 #

is was extraordinary chicks are very cute

10. Pelatihan ACLS August 19, 2016 at 12:17 #

so cute , my cousin very like playing with the chick