The Vegetable Garden – One Month On

20 Jun

I realised tonight that a month had flown past since we planted our vegetable “plugs” this year.  We´re catching up as we´ve has plenty of rain followed by sunshine and a few misty evenings, which the plants seem to love!

Our herbs are doing well, apart from my parsley and cilantro (coriander) which are still looking a bit sad.

I´ve let the sage flower as I think it looks so pretty.  I sometimes deep fry the large leaves in very hot olive oil for a few seconds and sprinkle with coarse sea salt as a little nibble with almonds and olive…and wine, of course!

Sage flowers

The mint is going crazy…these were the stragglers which I had to pull up later.

Rampaging Mint

I´ve also let the chives go to seed as the flowers are also lovely in salads.

Delicious chives...great for potato salad

The basil is almost ready for the first batch of pesto.

Fragrant Basil

We´ve got plum tomatoes.

A Future Sun Dried Tomato

We´ve got a “wild” tomato which has sprung up from a leftover seed from a squashed tomato from last year.  It has such a desire to live, we´ve let it do its own thing!

Born to be wild....!

We have some (very) bitter salad leaves and the delicious chard.  The celery tucked in there is slow to get going, but we´ll let it take its time.

Green Leaves and Bitter Leaves

Tomatoes, beans and the little muscat vines.

View down to my kitchen window

We´ve got rocket seedlings (must plant some more though)

Aaah....less than a week old

The first of the runner beans should be ready to pick in a few days

Teeny, tiny beans

The onions are doing well too

Onions in neat rows!

We´ve got long thin green peppers and large bell peppers – but we can´t remember which are which.  We´ll soon find out!

Which one are you then?

Cucumber flowers

Grown from last year´s seeds

The aubergine flowers are so pretty – wish they´d hurry up as I love aubergines (eggplant!)

Hurry Up! Hurry Up!

Dwarf French beans (yellow and green) which we only planted a week ago

Not quite Jack & The Beanstalk, but working on it!

And finally, radish seedlings…not long now!

Peppery and Pretty!

As I said, we´re a little behind this year because of the very wet spring that we had, but we´re happy with progress so far and already dreaming of grilled vegetables, salads and bunches of grapes.  Happy growing to you all!

40 Responses to “The Vegetable Garden – One Month On”

1. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 21, 2011 at 00:34 #

Wow, that all looks great. Am very impressed with the array and the amount of spices you have in particular.

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 07:54 #

Thanks Greg! But I´m so frustrated this year with my (lack of) parsely and coriander….I will have to persevere.

2. AnaLuciaSilva June 21, 2011 at 00:38 #

You’ve got it all! And everything looks like growing really well. I’m only able to take care of my chives and basil. I once had coriander but I guess it just didn’t like me 😀

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 07:55 #

We´re very lucky indeed! Coriander is a tricky one – mine´s not doing well and I don´t know why. Frustrating as I adore it!

• AnaLuciaSilva June 21, 2011 at 09:31 #

Well then I guess my lack of abilities were just part of the problem –‘

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 14:06 #

No…the weather, or a bad plant rather than lack of ability!!

3. JamieAnne June 21, 2011 at 00:50 #

Tanya,
    Lovely, wonderful growth!

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 07:56 #

Slowly, slowly…we´re so looking forward to eating those tomatoes!

4. GroundCherry June 21, 2011 at 01:06 #

Oh, I envy you your basil. Mine still only has four leaves… sigh. It just finds it a little chilly up here. But the rest of our herbs are doing quite well. I’m going to start harvesting dill this week.

Beautiful photos!

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 08:00 #

Basil certainly does need lots of sunshine but also plenty of water. I´m lucky with it here and usually by the end of summer I´m overgrown with it. I never did so well with it in London, although my mum (also in London) seems to have the knack! Try it in a terracotta pot (more warmth) in a sunny spot maybe? Love dill, am jealous of that! Thanks for visiting. Have just popped over to your blog and love the look of your lavender lemonade…

5. TikkTok June 21, 2011 at 04:56 #

I’m on my second round of radishes. Hope they come up despite the high heat! And, sadly, I don’t think my spinach is going to survive so I’m going to get what I can and call it a day. I also planted more pumpkin about an hour ago. I think I’m going to start with more seedlings next year, seeing so many thing that didn’t even germinate. Love what you’ve done! 🙂

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 08:02 #

Radishes are great – they grow so quickly! And I´m told you can do marvellous things with radish tops, although I´ve still to explore this. Although peas wouldn´t grow here in the heat, we seem to have had succcess over the last few years with the radishes. Good luck with the pumpkin. We have some courgettes too, but not yet in flower. Thanks for your kind words!

6. chaiselongue1 June 21, 2011 at 09:44 #

It all looks great and those tomatoes will soon be ripening. I think aubergines are my favourite plants – beautiful flowers and then they produce my favourite vegetable! You’ve got a whole summer of wonderful eating here.

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 14:07 #

Yes, all of a sudden they ripen at once. Just this week we finished eating the last of the bottled tomatoes (passata) from last year. It nearly killed me to have to go out and buy tins! And I agree about the aubergines, they´re lovely to look at and lovely to eat. Roll on summertime!

7. thecompletecookbook June 21, 2011 at 12:46 #

How exciting to take a walk through your lovely garden again and everything is looking so good! Coriander is my favourite of all herbs – hope yours picks up soon – you never know, i might just pop over for a visit. Oh wouldn’t that be nice.

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 14:08 #

Aah, thanks Mandy. And any time you want to come and take a stroll through the garden…there´s a shady spot with a little table and the wine is ready chilling!

8. TBM June 21, 2011 at 15:12 #

So lovely. I wish I could come over for dinner. Enjoy your wonderful garden and all the yummy dishes you will be able to make!

9. Rachel June 21, 2011 at 15:27 #

Sage (and rosemary) flowers are wonderful on a salad… tiny tasty bits of color. I sprinkle them on top right before serving or at the table so they don’t get lost in the greens.

Love your pictures!! Mmmmm…

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 17:30 #

I saw your comment and went right out to try a Sage flower – delicious 🙂 had only ever used them as decorations. My rosemary doesn´t get to flower often as I use so much of it, it is constantly being cut back. Thanks for your kind words!

10. spicegirlfla June 21, 2011 at 16:03 #

I’m so jealous! You have a fresh market right in your backyard! I love your ideas for using your herbs and look forward to “watching” your garden grow and reading about your recipe ideas! I do have sage and forget about frying up the leaves… I think that’s my plan for tonight!!

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 17:33 #

You´re right – it´s like my own little local market! Actually, in the summer I can´t believe how little I have to spend on fruit and vegetables – most people round here grow various things and we tend to swap our surplus and get a bit of something that we don´t grow ourselves…it´s great. Ok, am off to pick sage now as I also fancy it….and thanks for visiting, I´ve enjoyed what I´ve seen on your blog very much

11. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking June 21, 2011 at 18:06 #

Great job on your garden! It looks like it’s going to result in a lot of beautiful crops this season. 🙂 I can’t wait to make my own garden some day. Thanks for sharing!

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 20:00 #

Hi Georgia and thanks for visiting and your kind words. Hopefully we´ll be eating lots of delicious vegetables this summer…it´s very exciting! Am off now to have another look at your gorgeous recipes….love those cupcakes!

12. DANI June 21, 2011 at 18:16 #

Love to see your garden ! Everything is just great . A lot of work, for all those to grow, but, what a satisfaction in the end ! Greetings from Greece !!!!

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 20:03 #

Thank you for visitng and your kind words! Hopped over to your blog, I sort of got the gist of it, and the photos are beautiful. It will be good practice for me to try and read more of it….

13. thefooddoctor June 21, 2011 at 21:48 #

It was so refreshing just looking at the pictures
    oh I wish I had a garden..
    Thank you so much for sharing those pictures

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 22:08 #

Thank yuo so much, glad you enjoyed the pictures. We really are blessed to have this space, and are so grateful that we get so much pleasure from it! It´s nice to be able to share it in some small way…

14. ....RaeDi June 23, 2011 at 19:34 #

In a short period of time you will have plenty of fresh veggies, all the work will be well worth it….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza June 23, 2011 at 23:50 #

Not long now – another 2 or 3 days and we´ll be picking runner beans!

15. banbamama June 24, 2011 at 14:58 #

your garden looks great with lots of goodies growing in it! I love the basil 🙂

• chicaandaluza June 24, 2011 at 16:11 #

Thank you! And am very jealous of your radishes and nasturtiums…

16. Karen June 30, 2011 at 23:50 #

Just wanted to say “hello” and tell you what a nice blog you have. I’ve really enjoyed reading it. I wanted to comment on your lovely garden. I too like to let my chives flower…they add such a nice bit of color to the garden. I have never let the sage bloom…I will now.

• chicaandaluza July 1, 2011 at 05:31 #

Well hello to you too and thanks for the visit and your very kind words. Am so glad you have enjoyed what you have seen. Am hopping over to your blog now to see what you are up to, but do come back again soon!

17. seminar ACLS August 23, 2016 at 05:58 #

beautiful , and they grow perfectly

1. On herb gardens and selective green thumbs | Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide - July 19, 2011

[…] and the garden is not as grand as the ones our blogging friends in Connecticut or Rhode Island or Spain have. We hear everything is bigger in Texas. Still we’re having a bumper tomato crop and our […]

2. A Challenging Challenge | Chica Andaluza - August 16, 2011

[…] post that was surprisingly successful was The Vegetable Garden – 1 Month on.  I love that people ask me for advice.  I don´t have a huge amount of experience, but am happy […]