Oatmeal Bread

19 Jun

Delicious and Different!

I enjoy making bread, and it´s always good to come across new recipes.  When I saw JamieAnne´s recipe for Oatmeal Bread over on her blog, A Dash of Domestic, I had to give it a go.

I followed her recipe almost exactly apart from the following little changes

• I used one tablespoon of olive oil instead of butter
  • My oats needed cooking (albeit only for a few minutes) so I put all the water allowance (for the oats and the yeast) in with the oats and cooked them up for about 3 minutes before proceeding with the recipe
  • I used a sachet of easy blend yeast

Finally, I made the dough in the morning.  It was lovely to work with and became very smooth and silky quite quickly.  It was a hot day so I dusted it with flour, slashed the top then covered it with a tea towel and left it in a sheltered but shady spot in the garden for two hours then baked.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

It even looked beautiful as it was rising!  We enjoyed the slightly sweet taste which comes from the molasses and thought it worked well with salty cheese and also with paté and the last of my home made fig jam from last year.

Thanks JamieAnne, will be making this one again!

20 Responses to “Oatmeal Bread”

1. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 19, 2011 at 14:35 #

What a beautiful loaf, love the slideshows you’re doing. This recipe also struck me when I saw it over on Jamie’s site. I need to give it a try too.

• chicaandaluza June 19, 2011 at 18:33 #

Can highly recommend it – and it really is something a little bit different and special. If I´d had a terracotta flower pot, i´d have made it in that…it looks ever so good when you bake bread in one!

2. JamieAnne June 19, 2011 at 14:52 #

Beautiful!! I’m glad you and Big Man enjoyed it. We gobble it up. 🙂 have a wonderful day!

• chicaandaluza June 19, 2011 at 18:34 #

Looks like it´s been a bit of a hit! You should copywright it! Thanks again JamieAnne 🙂

3. florence and freddie June 19, 2011 at 16:17 #

Hi Chica. Oooooh is this the one you were telling me about. Will give it a go. JaimeAnne has started something here!
    Florence x

• chicaandaluza June 19, 2011 at 18:36 #

Oh yes, oatmel bread is now officially all the rage! I used Miel de Caña which is easy to buy here. It doesn´t need too much kneading and only one rise, so a good one to do by hand. Go on….give it a go!

4. chaiselongue1 June 19, 2011 at 21:37 #

This sounds and looks wonderful and I like the idea of using olive oil instead of butter as that’s what I usually use in bread. I think I’m going to have to try it very soon…..

• chicaandaluza June 19, 2011 at 21:48 #

Can highly recommend it, and I use olive oil all the time in my bread too. Initially it was because butter is not commonly used in anything much here, and now it´s because I prefer it!

5. Alisa June 19, 2011 at 22:07 #

Jamie’s recipe looks like a keeper. I cant wait to give it a try soon. I found you from the foodie blog roll and I’d love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this oatmeal bread widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about oatmeal bread,Thanks!

• chicaandaluza June 20, 2011 at 06:42 #

How exciting that you found me via the Foodie Blog Roll – I think you´re my first! Will do my best to add the widget at the end of the post and thank you. The bread recipe is indeed a keeper…

6. scrambledpreservedfriedcured June 20, 2011 at 00:00 #

Yum!

7. thecompletecookbook June 20, 2011 at 05:29 #

I’m all new to the baking of bread and have loads of fun – your loaf looks superb as does our fig jam.

• chicaandaluza June 20, 2011 at 06:52 #

We´re making the last few spoonfuls of fig jam last…our fig tree doesn´t mature until September, so we´ve got a little wait yet for the next batch of jam. Makes you appreciate it more though! This bread was really easy to do and just that little bit different, can highly recommend it.

8. Rachel June 20, 2011 at 13:25 #

If it ever gets cool enough to bake again, I’m going to try this! Keep the slide shows coming, please! I love seeing the process as well as the end product. If you can get flax seed where you are you might enjoy this honey flax seed bread as well…

• chicaandaluza June 20, 2011 at 16:38 #

It´s hot here too – luckily I was a bit of an early bird this morning and got some more bread baked then headed outside where it was cooler than the kitchen! Am not sure if I can get flax, but we have an English Shop half an hour away and they try to get hold of things for you….am off now to look at the recipe! Thanks for sending the link.

9. Fired Up Cooking SA June 21, 2011 at 15:13 #

Oh wow! Your photos are stunning, and I love the sound of that bread! I think it will bake beautifully on a fire (you know me) – just have to try it!! Thanks 🙂

• chicaandaluza June 21, 2011 at 15:27 #

I´m not the greatest photographer and I only have a little basic digital camera, but it was fun to photograph the bread rising. I bet it would turn out great on a fire….let me know!

10. ....RaeDi June 23, 2011 at 19:38 #

What a beautiful loaf. I love making bread too, I made and wonderful loaf a while back, haven’t had the time to post, but it has dried cherries, died appricots and a few other wonderful little ingredients and it makes the best toast you have ever eaten, I will be posting it in the next few days, but in the meantime I know what the next loaf of bread will be, one of my favorites, oatmeal….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza June 23, 2011 at 23:51 #

It was fantastic and I had such good feedback both here on the blog and from Big Man who ate it. Looking forward to your recipe, sounds wonderful!!