Citrus, Avocado and Radish Salad

30 Jan

We love our citrus fruit here in Andalucía.  Our lemon tree, after 3 years, now keeps us well provided in lemons all year round.  We have planted 3 orange trees too, so in a year or two, we´ll be enjoying our own oranges.

In the meantime, we rely on the kindness of friends and neighbours who keep us well supplied in oranges from about November to March, which is when Andalucía is lit up in the colour orange.  Fields of orange trees are a delight to the eye, and so too are the city streets lined with the trees of bitter oranges which are destined for England and its world famous Orange Marmalade.  But more of marmalade another day.

I was inspired by a stunning recipe from Sawsan over at Chef in Disguise for a beautiful orange and avocado salad. Grilled fish was on the menu for lunch, but sadly I have no idea what it is called in English.  As it´s a fairly oily fish, I thought that the tangy flavours of a citrus salad would complement the fish perfectly.  I was right!

Ingredients for 2 people

• 1 large pink grapefruit and 1 large orange peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
  • 1 ripe avocado peeled and cubed
  • Radish – our radishes here are HUGE so I only used one finely sliced, but use however much you like (or not)
  • Dressing:  any juices that run off the fruit as you peel them plus a teaspoon of lemon juice, the juice of an orange and twice the volume (of the citrus juices) of olive oil, a pinch of sugar if your orange is sour, half a teaspoon of mustard powder, a grind of pepper and a pinch of salt.

Mix up the salad ingredients gently or layer onto a plate.  Mix the dressing ingredients in a jar, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and pour over the salad.  Any remaining dressing can be stored in the fridge for use another time.

So pretty, so tasty, and so good for you.

67 Responses to “Citrus, Avocado and Radish Salad”

1. Michi January 30, 2012 at 11:37 #

Ooooh, these are my favorite kind of salads. And accompanied by grilled fish? Mmmmmmm. This sounds like a terrific meal to make on a nice sunny day. I’m bookmarking it. 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 12:18 #

Luckily I made it a few days ago – it´s turned cold here now!

2. chaiselongue1 January 30, 2012 at 11:47 #

It looks so pretty, and must taste wonderful too. I’ve just seen a lemon tree covered in fruit when I was out this morning, and several orange trees – we don’t have as many as you have in Andalucia but they do light up their sheltered corners!

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 12:19 #

They really are beautiful aren´t they, and I love the city streets lined with them too.

3. The Background Story January 30, 2012 at 11:51 #

Looks so yummy!

4. Food,Photography & France January 30, 2012 at 12:01 #

Beautiful salads – however, it’s snowing here so I think I’ll have something a little warmer:-)

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 12:20 #

Oh no, definitely not salad weather! It´s cooled down here a lot too since the weekend.

5. TBM January 30, 2012 at 12:56 #

This looks like a great salad…simple and tasty

6. cookinginsens January 30, 2012 at 12:57 #

Both the salad and the fish look scrumptious!

7. thecompletecookbook January 30, 2012 at 13:33 #

What a beautiful fresh salad! DELICIOUS! The fish looks fantastic too – what a brilliant meal Tanya. Glad to know you have so many lemons for when I come and visit – I like LOTS of lemon with my G & T!
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 15:10 #

Don´t you worry Mandy, the lemons will be waiting for you and we can watch the sun go down with the ice clinking in our glasses 😉

8. gardenfreshtomatoes January 30, 2012 at 13:37 #

What a beautiful winter salad…I’m not a huge grapefruit fan, but I like it with avacado. Wish I had some winyter radishes in the garden – this would have been the perfect year for them!

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 15:11 #

Big Man doesn´t like grapefruit either, but he liked it with the avocado as the sweetness of that went well with the tartness of the fruit….or you could just leave it out!

9. promenadeplantings January 30, 2012 at 13:58 #

Save me a portion! I love radish salads, and I love the idea of pairing it with citrus. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 15:09 #

English radishes which are a lot more peppery would be wonderful with this!

10. Michelle January 30, 2012 at 15:07 #

The availability of citrus is about the only thing that can get one through the winter. Wish I had that salad for lunch!

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 15:28 #

We eat so many oranges here – sweet, in juice, in salad (ensalada cateta)….lovely!

11. spree January 30, 2012 at 15:23 #

Oh Tanya, you turn me lime green with envy every time you mention your lemon trees – and soon you’ll have oranges too! Truly though, it’s a happy kind of envy – I love picturing you there among all that good and colorful fruit – everything about that picture so right! 🙂 And your salad looks absolutely heavenly!

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 15:29 #

We are lucky to have this lovely seasonal fruit, although I do sometimes find myself craving a crisp British apple or something totally tropical and unseasonal. I know I shouldn´t though 😦

12. LaMonique January 30, 2012 at 15:28 #

I think I have all the ingredients to make this salad this week. Yay! Thanks for this recipe. 🙂

13. Mad Dog January 30, 2012 at 15:39 #

That looks lovely – I particularly like grapefruit Margaritas in instead of lime.
    What was the fish called in Spanish?

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 16:24 #

Oh yes, grapefruit Margaritas. I think the fish was Besugo…usually it´s a lot bigger…does that mean anything to you?!

14. Simply Tia January 30, 2012 at 16:00 #

Awww man! that salad looks so healthy and delicious. I love it!

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 16:25 #

Thanks Tia – it tasted as good as it looked 🙂

15. Karista January 30, 2012 at 16:07 #

This looks delish! Love citrus salads, so refreshing.

16. spicegirlfla January 30, 2012 at 16:38 #

What a beautiful meal!! So healthy and colorful!! I’d not think to add radishes with the fruit – very clever!! And I love the pairing of this salad with the fish, which by the way looks soo good too!

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 19:49 #

It was a lovely meal – and felt very healthy with all those colours and vitamins!

17. deairby January 30, 2012 at 17:12 #

yum!

18. TheDorsetFinca January 30, 2012 at 17:20 #

Ooh, this looks super healthy. I will attempt at the weekend. x

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 19:49 #

Even though it´s winter, it´s a nice winter salad.

19. zestybeandog January 30, 2012 at 17:41 #

Looks fantastic! Yum~!

20. Fired Up Cooking SA January 30, 2012 at 18:46 #

I could tuck into that salad this minute, Chica, what a stunning combination!

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 19:50 #

Thank you – it was pleasing on the eye as well as the stomach 🙂

21. Evie January 30, 2012 at 19:02 #

Looks gorgeous…wish we had the weather here for it!

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 19:50 #

Winter radishes in England? Maybe avocado is pricey now there though…

22. Caroline January 30, 2012 at 19:07 #

So colorful and fresh! That salad looks fabulous. It would be the perfect meal for the warm weather we’re having…in JANUARY! Eeesh.

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 19:51 #

It seems that so many of us are having the weirdest weather right now!

23. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise January 30, 2012 at 20:34 #

Thank you so much for the shout out Tanya. I love the addition of radish to the salad. It must add a wonderful crunch to the salad and pairing it with fish is a brilliant idea

24. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 30, 2012 at 21:00 #

A stunning looking salad, and I have an avocado and some oranges just crying out “what to do?” so now I know, thank you very much! Your fish looks quite tasty, too.

25. sportsglutton January 30, 2012 at 22:14 #

That salad looks so refreshingly delightful. 🙂

26. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide January 30, 2012 at 22:33 #

We bought 18 pounds of grapefruit yesterday. That was not a typo. Allow me to covert that to metro. That is a metric boatload! So yep, we’ll probably be doing something like this. Looks awesome.

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2012 at 22:37 #

Wow – I´m looking forward to seeing what you do with them all….marmalade, cocktails….that´s a lot of grapefruit!

27. Charles January 30, 2012 at 22:59 #

Yeah! Tell me about it… I was looking at the photo, thinking “what is that, a big slice of apple?” and then you said it was radish. That is enormous!!! Damn, I’d love to be able to get my hands on radishes that size… I’d eat it like an apple 😀

Great looking salad – lovely and fresh, crunchy and light!

• Chica Andaluza January 31, 2012 at 06:11 #

The radishes are grown by one of the old boys round here and they are different to English ones – either the size of carrots or like small apples. Not as peppery as the ones we know, but still very good!

28. Kay aka Babygirl January 30, 2012 at 23:23 #

Oh this salad just looks fantastic. I love the radishes in this dish. Now, I find myself very hungry lol

• Chica Andaluza January 31, 2012 at 06:14 #

I love radishes, especially when you come across one which has a stronger flavour!

29. ChgoJohn January 30, 2012 at 23:42 #

Your salad looks really tasty, Tanya! How fortunate that your lemon tree is doing so well and soon you’ll say the same for your orange trees! I know what you mean about not knowing the English names for fish. I remember my family cooking a variety of fish and Zia cannot recall — or never knew — the English names. Unless I find an Italian fish monger, I guess I’ll never know. 😦

• Chica Andaluza January 31, 2012 at 06:13 #

I think too some of the names given are local ones, which is why I can´t find them in the dictionary!

30. Lula Harp January 31, 2012 at 01:35 #

Oh my! That sounds divine! A nice refresher for a cold day (here). Thanks for sharing

• Chica Andaluza January 31, 2012 at 14:04 #

Oh dear – cold weather, maybe not perfect for salads 😦

31. Raymund January 31, 2012 at 08:53 #

I love the flavour, colour and texture combination on that salad, simply amazing

32. Tandy January 31, 2012 at 09:06 #

this is a salad I would love and Dave would put to one side 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 31, 2012 at 14:00 #

It´s funny how we all have different tastes – makes the world go round I guess!

33. Karen February 1, 2012 at 13:51 #

I do love the flavors of your salad and can’t wait to try it. I wish I could get your sour oranges here in New Hampshire. I had a Seville orange tree in our yard when we lived in Florida and enjoyed using the oranges in a lot of my recipes.

• Chica Andaluza February 1, 2012 at 14:08 #

The flavour of the sour ones is quite distinctive and does make a difference in dishes like this. Even we struggle to get hold of them in Spain!

34. kathryningrid February 2, 2012 at 00:35 #

I’ve always loved citrus and avocado together, and the addition of the radishes here would be just the perfect bit of peppery spice and crunch to complement the two others further. Beautiful!

• Chica Andaluza February 2, 2012 at 10:35 #

Thank you – it was such a good mix, it worked well.

1. Grapefruit and Cucumber Salad | Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide - February 12, 2012

[…] & Onion Salad at The Orange Bee; an Orange and Olive Salad with Fennel Seed at Joshua Fagans; a Citrus,  Avocado and Radish Salad at Chica Andaluza and an Oranges, Onion and Olive Salad at Foodflowersherbsandlife. We also loved […]