Roti – Indian Flatbread

28 May

When we recently made our Cortijo Curry, we also made a little batch of roti, to accompany the meal.

Roti is an unleavened, flat bread (which does puff up when cooked) and is also known, I believe as chapati (I am prepared to be corrected if they are different, but all my recipes seem to indicate they are pretty much the same thing).

Super simple and quick to make, they´re also great to use as an alternative to tortilla wraps or if you just fancy a change.

Ingredients (to make 6)

• 200g chapati flour (or finely ground wholemeal flour)
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tbs vegetable oil
  • Water

Add the salt to the flour then mix in the oil. Gradually add drops of water (you won´t need much) until the mixture comes together then knead for about 10 minutes. Leave to rest for 30 minutes if possible.

Divide into 6 portions and roll each one into a ball, then roll the ball flat using a rolling pin.

Heat a non stick frying pan until very hot and place a roti in the pan. Press down on it (I used a spatula) as it cooks. When the underside is speckled brown, flip it over and repeat. As you press on it, it will start to puff up. You can also do this by holding it over a flame once it is cooked. We did try this as well, but found that they puffed up nicely in the frying pan.

Wrap in a tea towel to keep warm and serve immediately – they will lose some of their puffiness as they cool down, but taste delicious!

If you enjoy curries, do check out this lovely recipe from Frugal Feeding as well.

44 Responses to “Roti – Indian Flatbread”

1. Mad Dog May 28, 2012 at 19:46 #

That looks perfect are you sure you’re not half Indian 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 28, 2012 at 20:31 #

I don´t think so..but I believe my mum thinks she is! Honestly, I could eat curry several times a week…maybe I´ll gradually introduce more into the summer meals until Big Man becomes an addict like me 😉

2. chaiselongue1 May 28, 2012 at 22:36 #

They look wonderful! It’s years since I’ve made chapatis and I don’t think they were ever as puffy as these, so perhaps rotis are different. Equally delicious to accompany curry, though. I used to make puris too – similar rounds of dough but deep fried and they used to puff up beautifully….they used to be an important part of our Sunday lunch in Wales!

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2012 at 09:13 #

I´d love to know definitively if they are the same or different – hopefully someone can enlighten us. I adore puris but have never made them….that´s on the list now! (And that sounds like the best Sunday lunch)

3. bitsandbreadcrumbs May 29, 2012 at 01:26 #

How wonderful! I had no idea roti/chapati was so incredibly easy to make. Thank you for enlightening me and now I will have to make some myself!

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2012 at 09:14 #

Super easy, so handy for those “I´ve run out of bread” emergencies!

4. Calico Stretch May 29, 2012 at 01:50 #

Oh I love roti so this is a must. When I was working in the city many years ago I used to pop out to a wee Chenai curry place for lunch sometimes and had to have extra roti each and every time. Yummmmm Now I can make them

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2012 at 09:15 #

And they´re so quick and easy – resting them does seem to make them puff up more though.

5. fostercitynewblog May 29, 2012 at 06:15 #

Very good article .Please do not prepare Roti on the direct gas.It is not recommended if you eat it daily.

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2012 at 10:00 #

Thnks! We don´t eat roti that often but I´m interested to know why its not recommended to prepare on the direct gas? Health reasons?

• fostercitynewblog May 29, 2012 at 23:15 #

• Charles May 30, 2012 at 14:08 #

I’m guessing because it might char the bread slightly, perhaps?

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 14:26 #

That´s what I was thinking….

6. Val May 29, 2012 at 12:04 #

Chica’s flatbread and Frugal’s curry for us tonight!

7. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide May 29, 2012 at 13:36 #

Looks simple and delicious. Also makes me long for a gas burner.

8. gardenfreshtomatoes May 29, 2012 at 14:23 #

Oh, that looks great…and easy.
    We’re all about easy these days…

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2012 at 21:33 #

Yes, I can understand that! Hope all is ok with you guys 🙂

9. TheDorsetFinca May 29, 2012 at 15:57 #

This looks like a winner! x

10. Promenade Claire May 29, 2012 at 17:17 #

perfect for mopping up the curry and dal 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2012 at 21:42 #

Indeed – sometimes I don´t bother with rice, just the bread is enough!

11. Bluejellybeans May 29, 2012 at 23:42 #

Wow! tienen una pinta buenísima. La harina, la compraste en algún sitio especial?

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 09:54 #

Gracias Giovanna. Si, la harina lo he encontrado en una tienda inglesa, pero creo con harina integral muy fina (posiblemente hay que pasarla por la “food processor” en casa) funciona bien también.

12. rsmacaalay May 30, 2012 at 08:54 #

One of my favourite breads, I love it specially when its freshly cooked then paired with your favourite curry. Mmmmm

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 09:54 #

Yes, it really does taste so much better eaten when it´s just made!

13. thecompletecookbook May 30, 2012 at 11:23 #

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Roti and ate veggie filled varieties at every opportunity when we were living in Mauritius – they used to have stalls scattered everywhere. It was a standard lunch for me every Monday and Friday when I dropped our housekeeper off to catch the bus – oh what happy food memories.

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 14:25 #

They´re tasty aren´t they and I bet the veggie filled ones from the stalls were amazing!

14. Charles May 30, 2012 at 14:08 #

Never tried making these – I’ve got pita bread and tortillas down, I’ve been meaning to make some indian breads for a while. Looks like you did a fantastic job – I know what you mean about curry, I could eat it every day too… soo yummy 😀

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 14:26 #

This is pretty much the same method…you´ll have no problem with these!

15. idiosyncratic eye May 30, 2012 at 20:40 #

Flatbread the world over, these remind me of flour tortillas but maybe slightly more puffy! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

16. ChgoJohn May 31, 2012 at 16:33 #

I don’t recall having roti when having a curry. Naan is all I remember. going have to change that! These would make a welcome change from the flatbread (pieda) that we make — and just as easy to make, as well. Thanks, Tanya, for today’s cooking lesson. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 1, 2012 at 09:26 #

Naan is so good but it´s hard to recreate properly at home (at least I´ve found that) so roti is a good (and easy) home bread to make. You should also try puri on one of your restaurant trips – buttery, flaky (zillions of calories but what the heck) and oh so good!

17. Michi June 2, 2012 at 16:09 #

Mmmmm, my favorite is garlic naan with garlic, dipped in tikka masala sauce. I’m bookmarking your Indian food recipe series – I’m a huge fan of Indian food too, and for some reason your recipe instructions don’t overwhelm me like cookbooks do. (Is that strange?) Anyway, can’t wait! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 3, 2012 at 00:48 #

Garlic naan is sooooo good! Glad you like these recipes, can really recommend her books.

18. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise June 3, 2012 at 06:45 #

I love flat bread!
    will have to try this one soon

• Chica Andaluza June 3, 2012 at 09:40 #

Hi Sawsan, looks like you are playing catch up – do appreciate all your lovely comments!

• Sawsan@ Chef in disguise June 3, 2012 at 10:32 #

So sorry for the comment overload Tanya, it is just that whenever I can I love to catch up on as many of your wonderful posts as possible. I am sorry I don’t comment on each post as it comes out but I am always tight on time

19. Alli June 4, 2012 at 14:02 #

Love roti and homemade is the best

• Chica Andaluza June 4, 2012 at 14:45 #

You´re right, I couldn´t believe how simple and tasty they were the first time I made them!

20. Kursus ACLS August 18, 2016 at 12:42 #

so simple and I love bread

1. Tarka Dhal « Chica Andaluza - June 1, 2012

[…] and others which are between the two (like this one). All are equally tasty and delicious with roti or any other Indian […]