Speedy Strawberry Delight

30 May

For many of us it´s strawberry season right now. The pleasure of eating a sweet juicy strawberry on its own, or covered in whipped cream is something very special. And of course we can mix them into cakes, turn them into jam…well, the possibilities are almost endless.

Sometimes though you fancy a bowlful of strawberry deliciousness but you need it NOW. Here´s a little dish of strawberries that´s not too naughty and quick to pull together and hit the spot last night when we fancied a little midnight feast (hence the dark shot)!

Per person

• Half a cup of thick creamy natural yogurt (I used Greek)
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar (optional)
  • About half a dozen strawberries, sliced
  • A drizzle of honey
  • A splash of framboise (raspberry) liqueur – optional

Stir the sugar (if using) into the yogurt, pile the strawberries on top, splash on the liqueur, drizzle the honey over then find yourself a nice quiet spot to sit and enjoy a little indulgence and a moment of peace all to yourself.

64 Responses to “Speedy Strawberry Delight”

1. Promenade Claire May 30, 2012 at 16:14 #

The frambise is not an optional ingredient 🙂 I often give a bowl of fruit a gloop or two of a fruit liqueur, I find it adds the je ne sais quio 🙂 And that bowl of fresh picked strawberries has me drooling, so I’ll just go and clean up after myself

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 17:01 #

Well, have to say, I agree! A little splash adds a lot of flavour to something simple! No more drooling now…people are starting to look and point 😉

2. Food,Photography & France May 30, 2012 at 16:28 #

I’m a real fan of those wonderful “alcools blancs” like framboise, poire william, quetsch and the rest. They transform simple fruit desserts into something magical.

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 17:00 #

And with a little glass of something sparkly, some of the liqueurs make bubbles into something very special!

3. JamieAnne May 30, 2012 at 16:56 #

That looks very tasty!!!!

4. putneyfarm May 30, 2012 at 17:09 #

Nice recipe and an excuse to get some framboise. Enjoying the blog…

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 17:54 #

A good excuse indeed! Glad you are enjoying and thanks for subscribing 🙂

5. trialsinfood May 30, 2012 at 17:19 #

Yummy!

6. Val May 30, 2012 at 17:28 #

Ingenious 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 17:55 #

Well..I just had a bit of a craving, and sometimes you have to give in!

7. idiosyncratic eye May 30, 2012 at 18:15 #

I love the way that they throw them into carrier bags in the markets. That recipe looks deliciously simple and ingenious. Raspberry liqueur, mm! Limencello would be good too, I reckon. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 19:26 #

I reckon most sweet liqueurs would be pretty exciting with strawberries!

8. TBM May 30, 2012 at 19:14 #

Simple and good…and I have strawberries growing on my balcony.

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 19:25 #

Oooh – that is exciting! We had some here for a couple of years but they went a bit wild and I decided I wanted more space for my tomatoes!

9. Garden Correspondent May 30, 2012 at 20:45 #

This sounds lovely and is particularly handy to me as it accommodates the odd handful of strawberries that I can pick at this time of year. I dream of having buckets of them for jam, but this is consolation indeed!

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2012 at 22:20 #

It´s true, when you grow them you rarely get a kilo at a time!

10. ceciliag May 30, 2012 at 21:51 #

perfick and the splash of liquer,,, divine .. Pass the Boli darling!! c

11. Tandy May 30, 2012 at 22:01 #

Yummy! I love mine soaked in red wine with a dash of pepper 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 31, 2012 at 09:27 #

That sounds unusual and delicious – will have to give it a go!

12. niasunset May 30, 2012 at 22:30 #

Delicioussssssss 🙂 Thank you dear Chica, love, nia

13. Michelle May 31, 2012 at 04:11 #

Yum! I picked up probably our last pint of strawberries for the year today. And Steve ate them all before I had a chance to do anything with them!

14. bitsandbreadcrumbs May 31, 2012 at 04:14 #

Yep, that’ll do it for me! 🙂

15. Karista May 31, 2012 at 07:33 #

Everything tastes better with a little splash of liqueur or wine 🙂 A lovely summer dessert!

• Chica Andaluza May 31, 2012 at 09:29 #

Definitely – and it was perfect for the heat we´re having!

16. thecompletecookbook May 31, 2012 at 12:37 #

Fabulous! I all to often fall into that I want it NOW category.

17. Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy May 31, 2012 at 13:50 #

I need it NOW!!!!

18. ChgoJohn May 31, 2012 at 17:48 #

That picture looks so enticing, Tanya. And, to think, I’ve been wondering what to do with that bottle of framboise. OK, not really but anytime I’ll take full advantage of every opportunity to mix fruit with booze. 🙂

• Mad Dog May 31, 2012 at 19:22 #

Framboise can be a good alternative to cassis for a Kir Impérial 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 1, 2012 at 09:43 #

I agree, it´s one of my favourite drinks and I don´t feel guilty mixing it up here as we can rarely get French champagne (soooo expensive) but have amazing cava!

• Chica Andaluza June 1, 2012 at 09:43 #

Fruit with booze is always good – booze with booze is even better!

19. Mad Dog May 31, 2012 at 19:23 #

How lovely and summery 😉

20. Christina May 31, 2012 at 21:51 #

Oh yes…definitely need that splash of framboise! Looks so tempting! 🙂

21. Charles May 31, 2012 at 23:36 #

Aah, I bet that splash of framboise really makes it! Beautiful little snack – fast, creamy and yet almost healthy! 😀

• Chica Andaluza June 1, 2012 at 09:45 #

And I think the little splash of framboise is probably packed with vitamins and antioxidants (or whatever raspberries are full of) 😉

22. Bluejellybeans June 1, 2012 at 00:05 #

Bueno, qué pinta!!!
    Mañana mismo me hago con una cesta de fresas 😉

23. Florence June 1, 2012 at 00:57 #

Hi T, Oh yummy!! I must stop visiting your blog late at night. I think it would be better if I just popped over and raided your fridge instead.
    Have a great weekend.
    Florence x

• Chica Andaluza June 1, 2012 at 09:46 #

My fridge is often quite scary as it´s generally quite full…I´d have to show you all the little secret things I have tucked away inside it!

24. tobyo June 1, 2012 at 06:45 #

oh wow! I want one!! I’ve never heard of vanilla sugar, I suppose I could use regular sugar yes? I bet the honey just rounds out the sweetness huh? I just bought a new box of strawberries, most likely less sweet than yours but at least I can get sorta fresh ones.

on a different note…I hope you don’t mind a techy kind of question. I tried to put the flag counter that you’ve got on your blog onto my blog but I cannot figure it out. Is it a widget where you put the URL? or some place else? I tried an image widget but that didn’t work. thanks if you can help(and if you see this!)

• Chica Andaluza June 1, 2012 at 09:48 #

Vanilla sugar is just regular sugar with a used vanilla pod (for eg if you´ve made custard, you just dry it off and then pop it into a jar of sugar and leave it for a few weeks). But yes, regular sugar would be fine too!

The instructions for the flag counter were sent to me by the lovely Chgo John, so I will dig them out and send them to your e-mail address. I don´t think he´ll mind…but thanks will be due to him and not me when you sort it out!

25. TheDorsetFinca June 1, 2012 at 15:45 #

It looks so lovely. I could eat a whole bowlful right now and definitely with the added optional ingredient! x

26. Calico Stretch June 2, 2012 at 01:43 #

OK so I need me some strawberries. Right. Um where’s the jet? Sigh. Will wait until summer or try with another fruit – the latter will have to do for now. :o))

• Chica Andaluza June 2, 2012 at 02:18 #

Best to wait methinks….strawberries out of season are never as good as they look…or use something more seasonal and dream of summer!

27. Michi June 2, 2012 at 16:17 #

Heheh, me harte de fresas ayer! I grabbed two handfuls of strawberries, clutched the sugar bowl to my chest, and sat next to the window to eat away. I love sprinkling sugar on cut strawberries, allowing some time for the juice and sugar to make a nice syrupy strawberry dessert, but yesterday morning I just couldnt wait and dipped the strawberries right into the sugar bowl, happily double dipping. D-Man was very happy (heheh, not) to discover pink clumps of sugar when he woke up and prepared his coffee. 0:)

• Chica Andaluza June 3, 2012 at 00:49 #

I think D-Man should have considered himself very lucky to find clumps of strawberry flavoured sugar to add to his coffee!

28. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 2, 2012 at 19:45 #

Oh how lovely. Simple and just wonderful. I love berry season.

• Chica Andaluza June 3, 2012 at 00:51 #

You have so many lovely and inspiring recipes on your site…will have to go back to them!

29. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise June 3, 2012 at 06:44 #

I love how easy and quick it is, the perfect summer dessert no oven , no heat

• Chica Andaluza June 3, 2012 at 09:40 #

Exactly – sometimes it´s just to hot to cook “properly”!

30. PendleStitches June 3, 2012 at 20:22 #

Totally yummy! And just a teeny bit naughty!

• Chica Andaluza June 4, 2012 at 09:53 #

Yes, just naughty enough to be fun!

• PendleStitches June 4, 2012 at 17:20 #

Absolutely!

31. rsmacaalay June 4, 2012 at 10:48 #

Love simple desserts like this