Another way with runner beans – Spicy Beans with Prawns and Potatoes

10 Jul

Yes, it´s that runner bean time of year here Up the Mountain. We´re picking them daily, freezing some, giving some away and of course, eating plenty.

This was a light supper dish that was quickly pulled together as I had already blanched the beans and had some cooked potatoes in the fridge (a staple in our house for potato based salads) and some cooked prawns. If you don´t have these ready though, it´s not the work of hours to blanch some beans and boil some potatoes before throwing in raw prawns to cook through at the end.

Ingredients (Serves 2 as a light meal)

• About 500g of sliced, blanched runner beans
  • 2 medium cooked and peeled potatoes, cut into small chunks
  • About a cup of cooked, peeled prawns
  • 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
  • 2 fat cloves of crushed garlic
  • ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
  • ½-1 teaspoon of hot or sweet pimentón (or chili powder)
  • Olive (or vegetable) oil
  • Salt

Into a deep, heavy frying pan pour a few tablespoons of oil for frying and quickly fry the potatoes until they start to brown over a high heat.  Reduce the heat to low and add the ginger, garlic, cumin and pimentón and fry gently until the garlic and ginger have softened.  Now add the beans and continue to fry gently until they have cooked through.  Add the prawns (I chopped mine as they were quite large) and taste. Add salt if necessary. This would be great with some finely chopped coriander but I didn´t have any. Serve hot with crusty bread or try this beautiful recipe for pita bread from Tandy over at Lavender and Lime.

56 Responses to “Another way with runner beans – Spicy Beans with Prawns and Potatoes”

1. thecompletecookbook July 10, 2012 at 16:21 #

What a fantastic summer time supper – SCRUMITY!

• Chica Andaluza July 10, 2012 at 16:41 #

It was very nice and made a change from our usual beans with jamon!

2. cookinginsens July 10, 2012 at 16:30 #

Looks very, very good!

• Chica Andaluza July 10, 2012 at 16:42 #

Thank you Rosemary! Unfortunately it was a supper dish and supper here is about 10.30pm so it was very dark and not the best time for photos 😦

3. Val July 10, 2012 at 17:15 #

I like it! I’m sorry now that I did not grow runner beans this year.

4. TheDorsetFinca July 10, 2012 at 17:18 #

This looks like a winner! x

5. Margarita July 10, 2012 at 17:24 #

Sounds delish! Is that grated fresh ginger and crushed garlic? 8)

• Chica Andaluza July 10, 2012 at 18:35 #

Yes, sorry should have made that clear! Glad you liekd it 🙂

• Margarita July 10, 2012 at 18:37 #

Glad you cleared that up. I was wondering where I’d find 2 cloves ginger to crush! Will try this today – maybe this is one potato salad my husband will like! Thank you 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 10, 2012 at 18:51 #

You´re welcome! Hope he likes it. You could look at my recipe for Ensalada Cateta – another potato salad we eat a lot of here in Andalucia but no mayo 🙂

• Margarita July 10, 2012 at 19:13 #

Gracias, Chica, I’ll check that out! 🙂

6. Mad Dog July 10, 2012 at 17:37 #

That looks and sounds delicious!

• Chica Andaluza July 10, 2012 at 18:30 #

Thanks MD – the prawns were really good so it worked well!

7. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 10, 2012 at 20:41 #

That photo looks so pretty…I just want to dive into it! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 08:51 #

Thanks, it was rather dark when I took it, but it´s “real”!

8. PendleStitches July 10, 2012 at 21:03 #

I wish it were green bean season every day! Love them. This looks totally yummy. Have you thought of maybe adding a little chorizo too? Just a thought.
    PS…haven’t forgotten about the sock pattern…just waiting for The Husband to scan it for me and he’s mad busy at the moment at work. I’m such a luddite!

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 08:53 #

I used to loathe them when I was Little – probably because they were served boiled until they were grey 😦 Now I really enjoy them! And yes, don´t worry about the sock pattern. No rush, haven´t got the wool yet anyway. What size needles will I need?

• PendleStitches July 11, 2012 at 11:17 #

Ugh…I remember beans like that. Or frozen ones with no taste!
        I use 2.75mm needles…my friends use 2.5!

9. ChgoJohn July 10, 2012 at 21:17 #

I’ve seen runner beans in the markets and at the farmers’ stalls but had no idea what to do with them — until now. This dish sounds delicious and looks even better, Tanya. I’ve been on a shrimp kick lately and this recipe will fit in quite nicely. I think I just found a new item to buy this Saturday at the market. Thanks, Tanya!

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 08:54 #

They´re a funny old vegetable. They can be supremely dull but even with just a little olive oil or lemon or butter after boiling, they are transformed! Stir fried with other things lifts them to another level 🙂 Hope you find some and enjoy them…

10. Piglet in Portugal July 10, 2012 at 22:50 #

A clever combination! Love the idea f adding ginger. Ginger is of course a natural anti inflammatory…

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 08:55 #

I´d forgotten that…we´ll have to eat a lot next month when we´re “laboring” and our old joints are suffering!

11. Promenade Claire July 11, 2012 at 00:31 #

Loving the addition of the cumin! And a great way to eat runner beans – YUM!

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 08:46 #

I am a bit of a cumin junkie – my mum got me into it and it´s quite typical in Andalucía – must be a throwback to the Arab influences in their cooking!

12. yummychunklet July 11, 2012 at 05:04 #

I love beans and prawns. Delicious!

13. Tandy July 11, 2012 at 07:58 #

thank you for the link love ♥ We do not get cooked prawns here like we found in Europe which is such a pity as sometimes you just want to dip something into mayo without having to do all the hard work 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 08:50 #

Ah yes, but then you get lots of other lovely things that we can´t get here! Your pita recipe is great, really love it 🙂

14. rsmacaalay July 11, 2012 at 08:24 #

Spicy + Prawns = Thats a champion for me

15. narf77 July 11, 2012 at 11:15 #

Looks delicious. Cheers for the pita bread recipe as well 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 11:32 #

The pita bread is a good one!

• narf77 July 11, 2012 at 12:41 #

I have always been too scared to tackle them but saw another post about how easy it was the other day. I will give it a go on the weekend (so if it doesn’t work…I can spend the day after hiding the evidence IN the chooks lol 😉 )

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 12:57 #

I am sure it will work well, but….if it doesn´t the chooks will enjoy your experiment as I know ours love anything bread-like!

16. ambrosiana July 11, 2012 at 11:35 #

Simply delicious!! I love the combination of runner beans with prawns and potatoes. I usually make a salad with green beans, potatoes and tomatoes but this version is mouthwatering.I love the addition of ginger, cumin and chili because it gives a spark to the delicate flavors of the main ingredients!! Brava!!

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 12:56 #

Grazie mille – we really enjoyed it and the spices really did add something special 🙂

17. fati's recipes July 11, 2012 at 15:07 #

Oh my gooooodddd! WINNNNERR! SO trying that out 😀

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 15:50 #

Hey Fati – good to hear from you! Hope all is well and you´re not working tooooo hard 😉

18. Just A Smidgen July 11, 2012 at 16:47 #

The cumin and ginger would really be fantastic with these ingredients! You’re so lucky to have your own veggie garden!! xo Smidge

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 23:09 #

We are, and at least I´m managing to get a few frozen for later in the year too!

19. putneyfarm July 11, 2012 at 18:52 #

Love the flavors here- and we are going to potato-land (eastern long island) soon- we will be making this (or something very similar). Thanks

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2012 at 21:15 #

I want to go to potato-land!

• putneyfarm July 12, 2012 at 01:07 #

It is worth a trip in summer, all the produce and seafood are amazing…

20. Jed Gray (sportsglutton) July 11, 2012 at 18:57 #

I can literally taste this dish and my mouth is not complaining. 😉

21. gardenfreshtomatoes July 11, 2012 at 19:33 #

That sounds great…we’re doing shrimp tonight, too….

22. Karen July 15, 2012 at 20:09 #

Cumin and ginger must give your dish a lovely flavor.

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 21:08 #

They´re great spices aren´t they for really adding impact!

23. spree July 16, 2012 at 18:13 #

What a bright and pretty dish. Love the ginger, garlic, cumin and hot paprika with shrimp …and that you combined it all with runner beans, so clever of you!!

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 19:32 #

We have so many runner beans at this time of year, it´s nice to find new ways to eat them!

24. Fired Up Cooking SA July 16, 2012 at 19:50 #

Oh my word – GORGEOUS! such an interesting recipe, Chica – I shall buy prawns and beans this weekend so I can try it! LOVE it! Thanks 🙂

1. Summer Runner Beans With Tomatoes | Chica Andaluza - August 14, 2015

[…] If you enjoy runner beans, why not try runner beans with garlic and bacon or perhaps with prawns and potatoes? […]