Herb salad with Figs and Peaches

16 Jul

Summer time means sweet juicy fruit. And fruit isn´t just for jams or desserts you know. Oh no, mixed with peppery salad leaves and a citrusy sweet dressing it´s a perfect summer starter.

We have two seasons of figs here in Andalucía, early summer Brevas (usually the dark, black-skinned figs) and late summer Higos (the green variety). How lucky are we?!

Big Man came home yesterday with four juicy figs that had somehow fallen into his pocket off someone´s tree. At least, that´s what he told me and who am I not to believe him?!

Not enough for dessert, but just enough for a little salad.

Not so much a recipe as an inspiration to make a version yourself. I mixed some chopped lettuce with basil and rocket then over the top I put the four stolen precious figs, one peeled chopped peach and about 2 tablespoons of chopped semi cured goat´s cheese.

Psychedelic Salad

To make the dressing I mixed 1 tablespoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.  Salt and pepper were added then it was all shaken up then poured over.

Ah, “stolen” fruit always seems to taste that much sweeter!

67 Responses to “Herb salad with Figs and Peaches”

1. thecompletecookbook July 16, 2012 at 16:17 #

I am salivating at the mere thought of this here SCRUMITY salad and you know how I LOVE figs.

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 16:22 #

I do know you love figs! We are hoping for a good crop this year, how was yours?

2. gardenfreshtomatoes July 16, 2012 at 16:30 #

Oh, FIGS….don’t we wish they grew well here.
    $2 each at the store right now, but that won’t stop me if they’re ripe! No luck, so far, but a salad like this is the perfect use when they do look ready!

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 19:30 #

Ours won´t be ripe until September, but I do remember paying “through the nose” (English expression, it´s a bit weird but it means very expensive!) for them in London. Sometimes you just have to do it!

• gardenfreshtomatoes July 16, 2012 at 19:53 #

It’s a common expression here, too…I have to go out tomorrow, and if I see any figs worth having, I’ll have them 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 19:54 #

Oh good – it´s an expression that travelled well! Hope you find some figs 🙂

• gardenfreshtomatoes July 16, 2012 at 20:01 #

Thanks…been missing you around My Little Corner lately. Stop back by, when you have the chance.

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 21:08 #

I think I´ve resubscribed again properly….sorry,,,don´t know what happened but am catching up and having great fun now!

3. cookinginsens July 16, 2012 at 16:35 #

Looks so good!

4. Carine July 16, 2012 at 17:12 #

I love the colors too!

5. Roger Stowell July 16, 2012 at 17:45 #

That is a fantastic salad. Having pockets that allow figs to fall into them is essential country attire.

6. spree July 16, 2012 at 18:02 #

Will somebody please show me a more beautiful and succulent salad than this!! Wow, how lucky are you, all around, but to have a man too whose pockets magically fill with fruit! That goes beyond lucky!

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 19:31 #

I´m lucky that Big Man often comes home with little gifts from Mother Nature – they are usually honestly come by though!

7. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 16, 2012 at 18:23 #

Gorgeous colors in your salad, and fresh figs…how I wish I had a tree. Maybe someone’s figs will fall into my pocket soon!

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 19:32 #

If you stand under a tree for long enough, I´m sure some will fall into your pocket 😉

8. Mad Dog July 16, 2012 at 18:35 #

Great colours in the psychedelic salad 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 19:32 #

Well, I did have a little play with them in the second photo, but the first one was the real thing!

• Mad Dog July 16, 2012 at 19:35 #

Sshh – they look great 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 19:38 #

I won´t say another word….maybe no one will notice my trickery!

9. Bluejellybeans July 16, 2012 at 19:50 #

¡Jeje! Qué rica ensalada, seguro que los higos estaban buenísimos 😉

10. TheDorsetFinca July 16, 2012 at 20:08 #

FIIIIIIGGGGSS!!! I’m now having major cravings. Why don’t our figs taste any good? Probably because we haven’t had any sun for about 3 months!

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 21:07 #

I used to find that the figs I bought in the UK which had been imported were always picked too soon (understandably as if they picked them at the moment of perfect ripeness they´d be jam by the time they reached their destination) and just didn´t taste of anything 😦

11. MySpanishAdventures July 16, 2012 at 20:26 #

Oh I am sooooo hoping that the figs will be ripe at our casa when we are there in a week or two!!! (Well… the fig tree is truly in the neighbor’s garden next door, but since their house is abandoned, AND the limbs are stretching to our patio, it would be a shame to let just the birds have them, right??)
    😉

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 21:10 #

Fingers crossed – ours don´t ripen until September, so hopefully you won´t have to wait that long! And yes, I think the owners (whoever they may be) would thank you for picking them as it´s better for the tree. And you can make wonderful fig jam (I think I might have posted a recipe last year…will have to check)….so good with tangy cheese 🙂

12. ChgoJohn July 16, 2012 at 23:55 #

What a great combo, Tanya. Figs & peaches, together again! I bought some of both, over the weekend, and have been enjoying them as-is. I’ll try salads and the like once I’ve munched on a few more. There’s nothing quite like the first fruit of the season, whether it’s peaches, apples, figs, pears, you name it.

• Chica Andaluza July 17, 2012 at 10:10 #

I have to say John, I agree. If they´re fresh and sweet the best way to eat them is “as-is”. On this occasion, as I felt it only right to share the “plunder” I had to devise a way to make it go further 😉

13. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 17, 2012 at 00:53 #

That is beautiful!

14. DianeT July 17, 2012 at 05:45 #

Well, figs may be the centre of attention, but just looking at those succulent peaches from the middle of our winter here, just makes my mouth drool with anticipation.

15. annashortcakes July 17, 2012 at 05:52 #

Maybe we shall call you Eve of the forbidden fruit fame?

16. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen July 17, 2012 at 05:57 #

I ❤ figs.. I really wish our seasons timing of fruit coincided so I could just pop out and pick some of those figs and make this salad. Who am I kidding.. no one pops out and picks anything up here.. maybe "picks up" from a store:D

• Chica Andaluza July 17, 2012 at 10:14 #

Picking up from a store is good too….just without the thrill!

17. TBM July 17, 2012 at 09:27 #

That looks yummy. We have been craving salads in our family and I may have to try this one. And I believe Big Man. I grew up in Southern California and someone how oranges and lemons would magically appear in my hand on my way to school.

• Chica Andaluza July 17, 2012 at 10:11 #

You understand the concept then of the magically falling fruit!

18. Calico Stretch July 17, 2012 at 10:51 #

YUM! This is printed out ready for summer fruit. YUM.

YUM

YUM

19. ambrosiana July 17, 2012 at 10:55 #

That is a fantastic concoction of colors and flavors!! Brava!!!

• Chica Andaluza July 17, 2012 at 10:57 #

Thank you so much – I think you would have made it look prettier though!

20. idiosyncratic eye July 17, 2012 at 12:13 #

Mmm. I want this! Borrowed or scrumpied. Or foraged. 😉

21. Jen @ Savory Simple July 17, 2012 at 21:47 #

This looks SO refreshing and delicious!

22. yummychunklet July 17, 2012 at 23:16 #

Wow. The figs and peaches sound delicious together!

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 09:36 #

I don´t usually like sweet salads, but this worked perfectly!

23. Charles July 18, 2012 at 01:24 #

Hahaha, love it… one might say that the figs were “poached”, eh, eh? 😀
    What a fantastically colourful salad – I never tried figs and peaches together as part of a savoury dish before – what a beautiful idea… something to try for sure!

24. rsmacaalay July 18, 2012 at 09:30 #

This is a nice fresh salad!

25. Tandy July 18, 2012 at 10:44 #

I think that figs are lovely with savoury dishes 🙂

26. Promenade Claire July 18, 2012 at 12:51 #

Stolen fruit is definitely sweeter. And I’m not commenting on having 2 fig seasons, I’m pretending I didn’t read that!

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 13:19 #

Console yourself with the fact that our tree teases us with tiny figs early in the year which all promptly drop off before maturing!

27. fati's recipes July 18, 2012 at 14:48 #

Gorgeous photos! 🙂 As good as that salad must taste 😉

28. narf77 July 18, 2012 at 23:56 #

Damned RIGHT stolen fruit is sweet…nothing like a bit of scrumping to make that fruit taste like heady heavenly nectar…it adds the danger element ;). I recently scrumped 4 fig trees. They were growing from branches under a neglected fig tree that had been weighted to the ground by long grass and had actually taken root. Never one to let a chance go by…I appropriated them and they are overwintering in the glasshouse before being planted out along with my 2 year old figlet taken from a cutting from a tree in the city that no longer exists. I LOVE figs…I envy you your figs and remember as a child gorging myself senseless (no hard) on a neighbours fig tree that they didn’t utilise (also pilfered…methinketh a pattern is emerging here…). Who needs other food when the fig harvest is in! By the way folks…after several bucket loads of figs I never once had any sort of unfortunate “toilet” episodes so feel free to eat with impunity! (Although limit your fig pilfering to obviously underutilised fig trees or you may live to regret it! 😉 )

• Chica Andaluza July 19, 2012 at 09:59 #

How wonderful that you managed to “save” a fig tree by planting a cutting. I´ve never had problems after eating lots of figs either 🙂 Fortunately where we live there are plenty to go round!

29. Karen July 19, 2012 at 02:20 #

Yum…your salad looks great. I just bought black figs that looked so good but were dry. I ended up mashing them and making a sauce. Lucky you that figs just fell into Big Man’s pocket.

• Chica Andaluza July 19, 2012 at 09:58 #

It´s so disappointing when fruit promises so much in the way it looks then fails to deliver 😦 Bet the sauce was good though!

30. PendleStitches July 19, 2012 at 14:06 #

Scrumping for figs…a splendid idea!

31. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise July 28, 2012 at 10:21 #

My parents have a small fig tree and the kids came home yesterday with a few figs.I was wondering what I should do with them..now I know!

• Chica Andaluza July 30, 2012 at 23:38 #

Ah, hope you enjoy them (mind you, I´d be tempted to just enjoy them “as is”)!

32. salima aqiqah December 18, 2015 at 03:49 #

I particularly liked the salad can make a salad first decreased my appetite because I was in the past … this diet very bagud reference mistress