Garden Vegetable Pizza with Blue Cheese

14 Jul

The vegetable garden is now delivering well and we are trying to make the most of it before we have to walk away from it for at least a month. We´re both really sad about this, and I don´t imagine I´ll get too much bottled or frozen this year.

However, some lovely neighbours will be coming in and keeping an eye on things and looking after our chickies. They don´t have a veggie patch of their own, so they are going to enjoy what we´ve planted, so we´re very happy that it won´t go to waste.

In the meantime though, we´re enjoying what we have and last night we enjoyed a pizza with a difference. No tomato sauce!

It´s a sort of Pizza Bianca, in that it´s white, with some lovely fresh vegetables and herbs from the garden – red onion, courgette and rosemary.  I seem finally to have cracked making a thinner, crispier dough, so if you fancy a change, give this one a go. It serves two hungry people or 3-4 regular folk if you have a salad with it.

For the dough

• 250g strong white flour
  • 1 teaspoon of easy blend yeast
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 125ml of water

For the topping

• 125g cream cheese blended with 3 tablespoons of milk to make a thick paste
  • 75g blue cheese (I used gorgonzola) crumbled or chopped
  • 1 medium red onion halved and finely sliced
  • Half a large courgette very thinly sliced
  • About 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary (pull the leaves from the centre stems)
  • Freshly ground black pepper

To make the dough mix all the ingredients together either in a bread maker or by hand and knead for about 10 minutes then set aside to rest for about 45 minutes. Roll out thinly and place onto a sheet of greaseproof paper placed on a baking tray or flat board. Leave for about 30 minutes.

When you are ready to make the pizza, turn the oven to high and leave to warm for at least 10 minutes and make sure you place the baking tray you will use for the pizza (not the one it´s sitting on right now) in there to heat up. If you have a pizza stone, all the better!

Spread the cream cheese over the dough, then add the courgettes and onions and sprinkle over the blue cheese and rosemary. Finish with a good grind of black pepper and then remove the hot baking tray from the oven.

Slide the pizza (you can leave it on the greaseproof paper) onto the hot baking tray and pop it back into the oven for about 10 minutes or until the dough is starting to brown.

Cut yourself a big slice of pizza and enjoy…

PS. If you fancy a thicker based pizza, take a look at this recipe.

70 Responses to “Garden Vegetable Pizza with Blue Cheese”

1. Roger Stowell July 14, 2012 at 12:35 #

I’m very keen on the sound of that pizza dough, With any luck I’ll try it this afternoon. The pizza without tomato sauce looks a great success. Nice one.

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2012 at 13:54 #

Hope it works well for you – just don´t let it rise too much first time and you should be fine!

2. idiosyncratic eye July 14, 2012 at 12:43 #

Mmmm. 🙂

3. gardenfreshtomatoes July 14, 2012 at 13:11 #

That’s beautiful! I’ve been wanting to try something like it for a while…
    I made a bunch of small pizza crusts – par baked – and froze them to use for Little Girl quick meals. Might have to snag one for the grownups!

4. Heather @ SugarDish(Me) July 14, 2012 at 13:35 #

Ooooooh I love this!! I am in love with fresh summery pizzas… this looks wonderful!

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2012 at 14:24 #

It was good because it wasn´t too heavy or stodgy so perfect for these hot summer nights!

5. TheDorsetFinca July 14, 2012 at 14:15 #

Gosh I love pizza… Pizza dough is one of my favourite things to whizz up in the bread maker. x

6. chaiselongue1 July 14, 2012 at 14:16 #

I especially like the red onion for colour contrast and it all looks delicious. I’ve never managed to make proper Italian-style thin crispy pizza dough – I’ll try your tips next time. It must be so hard for you to leave it all! We hardly ever go away at all in the summer even for a few days! Nice that your neighbour will benefit from the produce, though.

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2012 at 14:37 #

I am feeling very mixed emotions right now about leaving, even if it is only for about a month. But then I keep reminding myself of what we´ll be doing and also that there will be many more summers to come!

7. honor July 14, 2012 at 15:01 #

This looks amazing – I am so hungry now!

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2012 at 15:20 #

Glad you liked it and thanks for stopping by and commenting!

8. cookinginsens July 14, 2012 at 17:04 #

Tasty looking pizza.

9. Mad Dog July 14, 2012 at 17:06 #

Me too re the red onion, along with the courgette it makes the pizza look more than just delicious 😉
    Hopefully you’ll get lots of sea side fresh fish to make up for missing the garden…

10. Sid's cooking again... July 14, 2012 at 18:03 #

I just have to try this, but will have to wait until the weather cools down a little. But I’m always on the lookout for new ideas for topping pizza. We have lots of courgettes available this time of year. We call Courgette’s, Zucchini on this side of the pond though.

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2012 at 18:48 #

Yes, it´s funny how we Brits use a French word!

• Sid's cooking again... July 15, 2012 at 20:59 #

I guess it is. I love how Eggplant is called Aubergine elsewhere and I’m sure there are lots of other ingredients that sound exotic but are really pretty commonplace.

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 21:15 #

So true…odd, but true!

11. Just A Smidgen July 14, 2012 at 18:14 #

I’ve read about Bianca Pizzas before.. this one would be fantastic with blue cheese.. my favorite cheese!! I’m completely envious of your neighbors.. if I lived next door, I would totally look after your garden for you!! I’d do all sorts of canning and have it waiting for you on your returns:D xoxo Ok, well, a few jars might be missing!!

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2012 at 18:47 #

Oh I wish you were my neighbour 🙂 I´d do the same for you, of course!

12. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise July 14, 2012 at 20:57 #

I love the idea of the pizza, no tomato sauce..interesting
    I wish I lived close by, it would be my pleasure to take care of your chickens and garden.

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 09:20 #

Ah Sawsan, I´d love to have you as a neighbour. We´d be in each other´s kitchens all the time thinking up exciting recipes!

13. ChgoJohn July 14, 2012 at 21:57 #

This sounds like a very good pizza, Tanya! I love that you used both cream & bleu cheeses for your “sauce.” With that as you base, just about any vegetables could be used on top — so long as the list includes onions, garlic, & cracked black pepper. Sorry, I’ll forego the meat but I will not go without my garlic! That aside, I’m sending this to my vegetarian friends. Like me, they’re going to love it! I’m also going to pin the recipe so I don’t lose the it. Pinterest has become my memory back-up.

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 09:22 #

Yes, I think I forgot the garlic. Shame on me! It´s the first time I´ve made a pizza without tomato sauce (although I do make focaccia with a few toppings) and we really enjoyed it. I need to get better acquainted with Pinterest I think!

14. themateriallady July 14, 2012 at 23:06 #

I think this looks very tasty – I like the idea of ‘no tomato sauce’. Must try sometime soon. Good luck with the new house (and all the seafood that will go with it).

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 09:23 #

Thank you! I lovee tomatoes and tomato sauce but didn´t miss it on this one. Very excited now about the trip – starting a countdown to when we go!

15. ceciliag July 15, 2012 at 03:47 #

You are going away again!? wow. I love a thin base too.. this one looks easy, and your pizza with the blue cheese and rosemary sounds wonderful.. YUM! c

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 09:19 #

Yes, this is the “Big One” – the one month trip to the UK to renovate the little Victorian House in Bexhill. We leave soon now…exciting and a bit sad too to leave our veggie garden and chickies but we´ll be taking the pooches and I think it´s going to be a fun project 🙂

16. Young Wifey July 15, 2012 at 04:44 #

*drool*

17. narf77 July 15, 2012 at 11:37 #

I have drool on my shoe…

18. thecompletecookbook July 15, 2012 at 12:23 #

Love this Tanya although I will have to skip the blue cheese.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 17:08 #

Yes, even my Bestie can´t stomach blue cheese, I understand!

19. tobyo July 15, 2012 at 16:22 #

oh my, that does look yummy! and I’m not a big pizza fan 🙂

20. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 15, 2012 at 17:38 #

I love this, and I have all the ingredients…plus I love thin pizza crust. I think this may be enough to push me into making my own pizza crust! Thanks Chica!

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 18:51 #

Oh you should – and with this one there´s not too much kneading, knocking back, waiting etc… 🙂

21. Florence July 15, 2012 at 17:44 #

Hi T. This looks yummy! Actually what caught my eye were the lovely colours in the photo.
    Regards Florence xx

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 18:50 #

It´s certainly beautiful to look at as well as to eat!

22. Karen July 15, 2012 at 20:15 #

I love thin crust pizza and with the fresh vegetables from the garden it really must have tasted wonderful.

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 21:09 #

It was good and I do love it when I can use our own home grown ingredients 🙂

• Karen July 16, 2012 at 00:01 #

I know you will hate leaving your garden while you work on your new adventure. Your friends looking after the chicks will enjoy your bounty.

23. MySpanishAdventures July 15, 2012 at 20:44 #

This was awesome! I made this today, along with your salmorejo recipe and it was a perfect lunch on a hot day in Texas! We loved it!

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 21:04 #

I´m so thrilled and please that you enjoyed them both!

24. spree July 15, 2012 at 21:00 #

Even if I were a big meat eater vegetarian pizzas would be my favorite. Love the sauce you’ve made for this one! And all that deliciousness straight from your bloomin’ garden! I’d be hard-pressed to find a more perfect pizza. (A little roasted garlic though would put it over the top!) Tanya, I’m sorry you’ll be missing all that garden goodness after all the love and work you’ve put into it, but how very lucky your neighbors are! Hope this next trip of yours isn’t too hard on you both…we’re all anxious to see what comes! xo

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 21:17 #

I do eat meat but don´t enjoy meat on pizzas (funny me) so this was perfect. I agree with the garlic – I think my mind must have been distracted as we have over 300 bulbs of it waiting to be used 🙂 Thanks for your good wishes. Exciting times ahead (even though I feel a little sad too)…

25. rsmacaalay July 16, 2012 at 09:34 #

That blue cheese made it, I can already imagine how this would taste like with my favorite blue the Kikorangi, you should try this New Zealand Kapiti Cheese

26. Val July 16, 2012 at 13:16 #

That’s a great looking pizza… lovely mix of colours… a work of art!

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 15:41 #

Thank you – nature gives us some wonderful colours to work with!

27. Promenade Claire July 16, 2012 at 13:28 #

What could be better, a thin pizza with fresh garden veggies and herbs? A lovely way to eat your garden produce, and I like the white pizza’s too, they make a lovely change

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2012 at 15:42 #

I bet you have loads of delicious goodies growing that you could pop onto a pizza. Hope you had a fun weekend!

28. Charles July 18, 2012 at 01:18 #

My Italian colleagues think I’m some sort of heathen but I actually adore pizza without a tomato base. They have them here a lot, with potato on top too… That stuff is the stuff of dreams! 😀

I love the sound of this pizza Chica, and it looks absolutely delicious… right up my alley to be sure!

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 09:35 #

I had a fantastic gorgonzola and potato pizza (just a slice though :() at Gatwick Airport the other week. Jamie Oliver has opened a restaurant and bar there and there´s also a take away section where you can get amazing sandwiches, the pizza slices and salads. No queuing there (the restaurant queue was out the door, I am sure people must have been missing flights!) then you can take your food across into the bar where they have lots of English Wines and Beers (there may well also be other stuff). It´s a great set up, if a little pricey.

29. PendleStitches July 18, 2012 at 16:33 #

Homemade pizza is one of life’s great pleasures. this looks like no exception.

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 17:33 #

I wholeheartedly agree and now find myself disappointed when I eat one out!

• PendleStitches July 18, 2012 at 19:36 #

Or worse….a Domino’s pizza! I’d rather eat the box! 😉

30. Jed Gray (sportsglutton) July 18, 2012 at 20:50 #

Sometime I go back and forth on using blue cheese on pizza, but I’m all in with this recipe. 🙂

31. Organic Vegetable Gardening July 23, 2012 at 23:40 #

This website was… how do I say it? Relevant!
    ! Finally I’ve found something which helped me. Thank you!

32. Storm Rider August 3, 2012 at 02:28 #

This looks sooo yummm.
    Nice pizza : )

• Chica Andaluza August 3, 2012 at 12:17 #

Hi Storm Rider – a big thank you for commenting and subscribing! I would normally visit your blog but am away from home and having huge problems connecting to other blogs right now, but as soon as things get back to normal I´ll be visiting!

1. » Salmorejo and pizza MySpanishAdventures.com - July 15, 2012

[…] second part of lunch was also one of Chica Andaluza’s recipes (Garden Vegetable Pizza with Blue Cheese), but I adapted it a tad. This was a “white pizza” (no tomato sauce) topped with fresh […]

2. Sourdough Pizza Base | Chica Andaluza - June 13, 2013

[…] logical place for me to veer off to was a pizza base. We do enjoy homemade pizza here Up the Mountain on a fairly regular basis, and toppings usually involve a fridge clear out […]

3. Potato Topped Pizza and a Walk Up the Mountain | Chica Andaluza - April 12, 2014

[…] One Quanity of Pizza Dough […]