Potato Topped Pizza and a Walk Up the Mountain

12 Apr

If, like me, you don’t fear the carbs (although realy I should), this is a tasty and economical pizza to feed a crowd. And then you take the crowd out for a walk to burn off the carbs!

Potato & Spring Onion Pizza (1)

Ingredients

• One Quanity of Pizza Dough
  • About 2 cups of chopped tomatoes or your favourite pasta sauce
  • 1 large potato, boiled in its skin then peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 ball of mozzarella, chopped into bite sized chunks
  • 1 clove of crushed garlic
  • Half a cup of grated cheese (I used a mix of parmesan and emmental)
  • 3 spring onions, finely chopped
  • 1 tin anchovies in olive oil (optional) omit for a vegetarian version

Turn the oven onto the highest setting while you prepare the pizza.  Put the tin or tray you will be using into the oven to heat up

Roll out your dough to fit the tin and place it on some greaseproof or baking paper. Cover with the tomato sauce. Mix the potato, cheeses, spring onion and garlic together in a bowl and spread this mixture over the pizza. Lay the anchovies over the top and pour over any oil from the tin.

Slide the pizza onto the hot tray (with or without the baking paper) and bake for about 12-15 minutes until the cheese starts to brown and the pizza is crispy.

Hope you enjoy the walk, click on the photos to see them in more detail.

51 Responses to “Potato Topped Pizza and a Walk Up the Mountain”

1. Marianne April 12, 2014 at 12:33 #

Like you, I’m not a carbs-fearer – but a nice long walk up a mountain afterwards is sure to make everything OK …. (after a little siesta, of course!).

Looks tasty, Tanya 🙂

2. Food,Photography & France April 12, 2014 at 12:41 #

That sounds absolutely brilliant. i have no fear of carbs and I’m going to do this….soon:)

3. Danny & Sue April 12, 2014 at 12:47 #

Sounds very tasty , we remember the lovely views walked those tracks many times D & S xx

• Chica Andaluza April 12, 2014 at 14:31 #

You were walking down this way the first time we all chatted if I remember correctly!

• Danny & Sue April 14, 2014 at 10:23 #

Yes we remember ,we were with Ian & Amanda .

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2014 at 10:29 #

J Long time ago….

4. Melissa's Menu April 12, 2014 at 12:58 #

This looks so good! Putting the few ingredients we don’t have on the shopping list!

5. idiosyncratic eye April 12, 2014 at 16:38 #

It’s funny how terrified people are of the whole ‘double carbs’ thing yet the most popular accompaniments to pizza seem to be either garlic bread or chips. Or both. 😉

• Chica Andaluza April 12, 2014 at 19:41 #

So true – mind you, I think I prefer a salad with mine!

6. 76sanfermo April 12, 2014 at 16:40 #

Be sure I’ll enjoy it. Luckily I’m not a carbs- fearer!

Ciao Tania, this sounds fabulous!

7. thecompletebook April 12, 2014 at 18:19 #

Carbs, glorious carbs! Scrumptious pizza Tanya. I would definitely not leave out the anchovies, although I would probably have to have two tins cause I eat them before they get to the pizza!
    Have a beautiful weekend and what a fabulous walk up the mountain you enjoyed.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza April 12, 2014 at 19:40 #

Well, I may just have pinched one or two anchovies myself which is why they are looking a bit sparse on top of the pizza!

8. restlessjo April 12, 2014 at 19:32 #

That shot of the olive groves is beautiful, Tanya. I’m quietly envious but I enjoyed our walk 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 12, 2014 at 19:40 #

It was lovely to have you along – I’m usually tagging along on your walks!

• restlessjo April 12, 2014 at 19:41 #

I did think that 🙂 Fair exchange!

9. Eha April 13, 2014 at 02:32 #

Good carbs [about 30% of total food intake] are absolutely necessary for endurance and even temperament in a balanced diet Perhaps I would not term yours ‘good’ necessarily, but love the look of this and especially the anchovies atop and, yes, the walk after would be mandatory . . . and methinks very enjoyable 🙂 !

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2014 at 09:31 #

Hear hear! Everything in moderation and if you do have a little blow out – you can make it right!

10. Tandy | Lavender and Lime April 13, 2014 at 07:34 #

Everybody needs carbohydrates in their diet and this sounds like a good way to get them 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2014 at 09:32 #

It seems we are all agreed that a bit of balance is fine….and tasty too!

11. TheDorsetFinca April 13, 2014 at 08:35 #

I like your thinking… a pizza and a walk sounds like a great combo to me! Looks delicious!

12. narf77 April 13, 2014 at 19:37 #

Oh BOLLOCKS! I got here too late for the carbs but apparently just in time to climb a mountain? What ridiculous timing I have! 😉

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2014 at 10:24 #

Don’t worry, I’ll make some more J And we could just open a bottle of wine and let the dogs walk themselves!

• narf77 April 14, 2014 at 19:18 #

See THAT’S why I keep coming back here…the woman is brilliant…why didn’t I think of letting the dogs walk themselves? Err…I DID think of letting the dogs walk themselves and had the forethought to realise that I would be liable for more damage than anyone should ever have to contemplate should I ever let Earl free range. Back to the drawing board although taking a bottle of wine in each pocket of my jacket might be an acceptable compromise. Call it “hill anaesthesia” and be done with it 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2014 at 23:22 #

I like your style! And if you take a slurp out of each bottle as you go, you won’t start to walk lopsided and no one could ever accuse you of being drunk in charge of a pack of dogs!

• narf77 April 15, 2014 at 04:58 #

Correct ma’am…and as I am being dragged upside down and in the shrubs anyway, I may as well have some fun while I am doing it 😉

13. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide April 14, 2014 at 01:00 #

Bring on the carbs.

14. Gather and Graze April 14, 2014 at 01:36 #

That’s one fabulous flavour-filled pizza! More than happy to eat carbs on carbs when it looks like that!

15. Amanda April 14, 2014 at 18:22 #

Yum! What a wonderful combo. Potatoes and anchovies. This makes the pizza for me. Well done!

16. ChgoJohn April 15, 2014 at 06:17 #

Yeah, Tanya. Carbs and I are a bit too friendly but I just can’t help it. Life without pasta and bread would be mighty harsh. And pizza. How can one live without anchovy pizza? Around here, Friday is pizza night — there’s a post in the queue. Probably the most frequent “guest” is the anchovy pizza, the more little fishies the better. I’ve yet to try potatoes and that does sound like a great addition. Hmmm … maybe this Friday. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2014 at 09:22 #

I’m just packing up for the return trip to England and we’ll be there for a few months again. Which is good and bad – sad to leave but happy to be working on a new project! One of the bags is packed with lots of tiny tins of anchovies – we can get them in England but they are oh so expensive, so I stock up in Spain! Will think of you on Friday night – we will hopefully be pulling up to our place down by the sea, so it may have to be fish & chips for us!

17. Mad Dog April 15, 2014 at 12:07 #

What a lovely mountain!
    For some reason the potato made me think of cabrales and then I though, “I’ll have to try that on pizza” 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2014 at 14:22 #

It’s right outside my back door – we all love it! And now I’m craving cabrales…..

• Mad Dog April 15, 2014 at 14:39 #

I thought of lunch in Spain and some potatoes baked in a cabrales sauce I had in Barcelona 😉

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2014 at 15:35 #

Sounds like a very perfect lunch! We’ve just had gambas al pil pil and a tomato and onion salad. Back to the packing now 🙂

• Mad Dog April 15, 2014 at 16:19 #

That sounds fantastic too!

18. bitsandbreadcrumbs April 16, 2014 at 17:42 #

I was going to use leftover roasted potatoes for a pizza last week and my husband poo-pooed the idea, but yours looks wonderful and I think next time I’ll “sneak” them in! What a gorgeous mountain and terrain. I love the olive groves and the vegetation reminds me of Crete. I’ve never been to Spain, but it’s top on my “next” list.

• Chica Andaluza April 16, 2014 at 18:22 #

You’re right about it reminding you of Crete – it’s very wild and rugged round here with all the olive groves, very similar!

19. Charles April 19, 2014 at 14:33 #

Potatoes on pizzas… I’m going to miss those. They used to be super popular in France but they tend to stick to more “traditional” styles up here in Sweden. I think it’s the perfect addition myself, especially if you dollop on a bit of creme fraiche!

20. waterfallsandcaribous April 21, 2014 at 03:40 #

Carb on carb 🙂 YESSSS!!!!

21. Karen April 23, 2014 at 14:54 #

I love pizza and potatoes but have never had them together…I’m sure the pizza is a tasty treat. 🙂