Creamy Goat´s Cheese Paté

18 Jul

Our friendly local goatherd bought round some milk for us the other day, so I turned it into yogurt and then cream cheese.  So very tasty!

I made plenty, so to change things up a little I made a little “paté” which was delicious served with fresh crusty bread and then the next day on griddled bread (like little crostini) and with bread sticks.

Ingredients

• 200g cream cheese
  • 1 small clove of crushed garlic
  • 1 tablespoon of chopped capers
  • About 6 sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

Beat all the ingredients together and chill until ready to serve. Simple, easy, delicious.

54 Responses to “Creamy Goat´s Cheese Paté”

1. chaiselongue1 July 18, 2012 at 09:50 #

What a beautiful photo of the goats’ cheese in the sun! And the paté sounds delicious – the flavours of capers, garlic and sun dried tomatoes go so well with the cheese. I’ll have to try this with our local goats’ cheese.

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 10:04 #

It was a quick one to make but it made a lovely change – and watch out for another recipe this week using the rest of it (I made a big batch!).

2. ChgoJohn July 18, 2012 at 10:02 #

Between you and Sawsan, with your goat’s milk, and, Celi, with her cow’s milk, I should just quit my cheese making and put my “dairy money” towards plane tickets so I can visit you all. I must warn you, though. If you’re going to be serving tasty treats like this, I just might extend my visit.

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 10:07 #

We could start a cheese co-operative…but you make more exciting cheeses than me, so you´d have to be The Big Cheese! I am still trying to get to grips with the industrial measures on my tub of rennet 😦

• Mad Dog July 18, 2012 at 17:52 #

John you could go into business with Cecilia and open a cheese store in Chicago 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 18:45 #

Hope they´d do mail order!

• Mad Dog July 18, 2012 at 18:46 #

Excellent idea!

3. Marianne July 18, 2012 at 10:06 #

This looks delicious and perfect for spreading on the lovely crusty bread!

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 11:56 #

It was so easy (especially if you use ready made cream cheese) and very tasty!

4. Calico Stretch July 18, 2012 at 10:48 #

I make something like this from time to time but not thought to make it with goats cream cheese. What a lovely idea, though I’ll have to look around to find the milk or yog to start with.

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 11:57 #

Once you have a live yogurt starter…you´re on your way!

5. themateriallady July 18, 2012 at 10:55 #

That looks lovely. Just the stuff to eat out in the sunshine. Please could you bring some of that sunshine to the UK when you come ?

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 11:58 #

Am going to make sure to squeeze plenty in with the luggage…although my best pal says warmer weather is on its way. I hope she´s right!

6. ambrosiana July 18, 2012 at 11:31 #

What a delicious recipe, and the most important thing is that the cream cheese is homemade!! Brava!!

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 11:59 #

It does taste that extra bit special when it´s home made!

7. gardenfreshtomatoes July 18, 2012 at 12:50 #

I’m having trouble getting past the “friendly local goatherd brought us some milk…” Really? I’m pea-green with envy! You have no idea how much we adore goat milk around here…and it’s SO hard to get!
    Marvelous flavors in your spread.

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 13:18 #

Yes, we´re very lucky. Most of the goatherds sell most of their milk to a co-operative that makes hard cheese, but they usually try to keep some back for family and friends every so often….and we sometimes get the beneft!

8. Promenade Claire July 18, 2012 at 12:53 #

Oh to have a local friendly goatherd! And I’ve just read Marie’s comment, seems we are both struggling with this one 🙂
    Loving the addition of capers. YUM

9. Charles July 18, 2012 at 13:40 #

Hi Chica – this looks fantastic… how lucky you are to have access to milk like that. I’m so jealous. I bet this makes a fantastic snack… looks so creamy!

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 13:49 #

I am very lucky, it´s a special (and usually very unexpected) treat!

10. Roger Stowell July 18, 2012 at 14:01 #

Very nice idea. It would be good with fresh tomatoes too, I’m thinking. The griddled bread is the way to go:)

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 14:27 #

Ooh yes..it´s that time of year when everything tastes better with tomatoes!

11. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen July 18, 2012 at 15:04 #

I’m off to see your cream cheese recipe, although without the fresh milk I’m sure it wouldn’t be as splendid if I make it!! Beautiful pate.. capers.. my favorite!!

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 17:32 #

Surprisingly, have made this before with ready made cream cheese and because you can “spice it up” any way you like, the results are still good!

12. Rachel July 18, 2012 at 16:12 #

I *had* a source for (shhhhhhh) raw goat milk a few years ago, but she gave it up, just couldn’t afford to keep ’em. Sad. So I’m jealous and this looks fine! You know, I think capers are underappreciated. I love ’em, so thanks for the idea! Mmmm…

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 17:33 #

Such a shame about your secret source 😦 Seems there are quite a few caper fans out here!

13. Mad Dog July 18, 2012 at 17:54 #

That looks delicious – I love goat’s cheese 😉

14. spree July 18, 2012 at 18:28 #

I’m hard-pressed to imagine anything I’d rather eat right now than crusty bread schmeered with this spread! Really wonderful Tanya! (and OH! to have a friendly goatherd nearby! …sigh…)

15. idiosyncratic eye July 18, 2012 at 18:30 #

I love goats’ cheese. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 18:46 #

Me too – although I do have Pals that just can´t stand it. All the more for folk like us eh?!

16. MySpanishAdventures July 18, 2012 at 18:32 #

Mmm this sounds yummy! (I love capers!) I’ve made yogurt, but never thought to make it into cream cheese.
    And you are so lucky to have a “friendly goatherd” to share such goodies! There is a goatherd who walks his little herd across the field near The Casa each morning and evening. I love seeing that!

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 18:47 #

You´ll have to make pals with him and find out what he does with his milk. And if you make yogurt, just take it that step further and drain it for longer…voilá, cream cheese!

17. cookinginsens July 18, 2012 at 18:37 #

I like that you added the sun dried tomatoes. Looks delicious.

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2012 at 18:47 #

Yes, I´m managing to make a few batches of sun dried tomatoes before I leave. I adore them 🙂

18. narf77 July 19, 2012 at 00:01 #

What a clever little Chica Andaluza you are! It must feel very satisfying making your own cheese. So far my experience with cheese has been seriously underwhelming. I made some from some kefir once and never ate it (enough said about that…) and aside from the odd batch of adventitious “cheese” that makes itself out of the milk in the fridge, cheese making has been something that I only dream about but have never taken the plunge. There is a big dairy around here somewhere in the near vicinity (I know there is because the milk trucks have almost run us over a few times when we are walking the dogs) and I am now inspired to hunt it down and see if I cant get a few pints of buttery gold to see what I can do with a bit of rennet and Brunhilda’s (our enormous wood stove) gentle persuasion… Cheers for a great idea and a stunning recipe. No goats here yet but I am threatening the dogs with goat purchase. They already spend their days barking at the feral cats and chooks can you imagine the torture of goats free ranging?!!! 😉

19. Karen July 19, 2012 at 02:23 #

I wish I had a goat herder for a friend…living on you mountain certainly has wonderful advantages.

• Chica Andaluza July 19, 2012 at 10:05 #

Mind you…some of them can be a bit whiffy (in a natural goaty sort of way) 😉

20. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 19, 2012 at 05:59 #

Wow, wow, wow…one of my favorite things/flavor combos, and one of my biggest weaknesses! How lucky to have the fresh goat milk, and what delicious looking cheese pate…I’d eat the whole bowl!

• Chica Andaluza July 19, 2012 at 10:01 #

We are indeed very lucky to have these little gifts from the goatherds! Fortunately I made plenty 🙂

21. Tandy July 19, 2012 at 11:52 #

Oh YUM!

22. TBM July 19, 2012 at 13:03 #

I think I could even manage this one! Thanks for the boost in confidence.

• Chica Andaluza July 19, 2012 at 14:49 #

Yay – get in that kitchen with your bad back…or maybe just take it easy for a bit longer 😉

23. PendleStitches July 20, 2012 at 01:15 #

You should team up with The Husband. He’s muttering about adding cheese to the repertoire. Who am I to argue?

• Chica Andaluza July 20, 2012 at 10:38 #

Oh do tell him to go for it. If he checks out From the Bartolini Kitchen and The Kitchen´s Garden blogs – they are both cheesemakers. Has he got a subscribe button yet on his blog? Couldn´t see one the other day.

• PendleStitches July 20, 2012 at 14:44 #

I shall let him know about the cheesemakers, thank you.
        He’s not had a minute to post this week but last night he had me photographing butter making and tonight we are doing his basic white loaf.
        I’m guaranteed a delicious breakfast tomorrow and he will definitely be posting over the weekend. I will kick his butt for a subscribe button! 😉

24. dotdos July 21, 2012 at 00:41 #

Esto tiene una pinta estupenda, me lo apunto 🙂

25. rsmacaalay July 23, 2012 at 10:38 #

Even without bread I think I will just dip my finger in that bowl of goodness