Baked Skate with Oven Roasted Vegetables

1 Mar

Baked Skate (4)

Regular readers of this blog may well know that at home Up our Mountain or in our (now soon to be) second home Down by the Sea (well, I’m working on that phrase…give me more time) we have a passionate love for eating fish. Fish Man provides for us Up the Mountain and Fishmonger does the job Down by the Sea.

Skate is also a regular favourite and it’s usually pan fried in my biggest pan possible. The other day I was busy glossing paintwork but wanted to get dinner on the go. Not wanting to stand over a pan for all of ten minutes, I decided to turn on the oven and get cooking.

Ingredients for 2 people

• 1 skate wing cut into two pieces
  • 1 large lemon thinly sliced
  • A selection of vegetables for roasting (I used courgettes, peppers, onions, tomatoes and garlic)
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

Set the oven to about 180C degrees or medium.  Start by coating your vegetables (cut into chunks or strips) in a little olive oil and season them. Put into a deep baking tray.  Add a favourite herb if you like – I used thyme. Roast for 20 minutes then lay the skate on top, season it and then drizzle a little more oil over and lay the lemon slices over the fish. Cover with foil and continue to cook for another 20 minutes.

Check that it is cooked by prodding with a sharp knife in the centre (the flesh should be cooked all the way through in the thicket part). If it’s still a little raw (this will depend on the thickness of your fish) put it back in for another 5 minutes and check again.

You will have a lot of delicious juices in the pan which you can drizzle over but you will have extra which can be saved (freeze if not using within 2 days) and used another day for cooking with rice to make a delicious paella or as a stock for a fish soup.

Healthy, low fat, delicious. And plenty of time to jump under the shower and wash that paint out of your hair.

52 Responses to “Baked Skate with Oven Roasted Vegetables”

1. cookinginsens March 1, 2013 at 18:00 #

A delicious way to cook skate.

2. Karista March 1, 2013 at 18:05 #

Just lovely! I love these kinds of fresh dishes. I wish we could get skate more easily here but I usually have to order it through my fishmonger. Delicious dish Chica!

• Chica Andaluza March 1, 2013 at 19:45 #

We do find it in Spain too, it’s one of our favourites….

3. narf77 March 1, 2013 at 18:26 #

When I was scrumping blackberries the other day on the riverbank I noticed a skate case on the pebbles. I haven’t seen one for years. I know that the elbow of the river where we live is a shark nursery (skates, rays and gummy sharks) but was excited to pick up the case. Skate is one of the Aussie staple fish and chip shop fish. It yields a large “meaty” portion and Aussies are big on their large meaty portions ;). Your version looks fantastic. Steve loves his fresh caught fish just like you cooked your skate although he does love a bit of chilli with it. Simply cooked so that you get that maximum flavour and the lovely texture of the skate. Kudos…Anthony Bourdain would give you a clap on the back :). Once you recovered I dare say you would be firm friends. You always deliver the good stuff :). It’s no wonder I keep coming back 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 1, 2013 at 19:47 #

How funny, after taking the snap I smothered mine in some very hot chili I have! I do love the thought of being pals with Anthony Bourdain (as long as he didn’t use any cheffy bad language…well, a little bit would be ok)!

4. Karen March 1, 2013 at 18:41 #

Skate is a dish I order when we are in Europe but is not something I see at our fish markets. Your simple preparation must have let its flavor shine.

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:31 #

It’s definitely becoming easier to get hold of here in Europe!

5. Mad Dog March 1, 2013 at 18:43 #

That looks like a lovely wing 😉

6. 76sanfermo March 1, 2013 at 18:49 #

I like eating fish,and this version looks delicious.
    A big GRAZIE ,again,dear Chica!
    Ciao

7. Bluejellybeans March 1, 2013 at 19:03 #

¡Delicioso! 😉

8. Peri's Spice Ladle March 1, 2013 at 20:39 #

Simple flavors and delicous food…just the way fish should be treated:)

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:32 #

It has such a gorgeous flavour that it can still be amazing when left very simple.

9. gardenfreshtomatoes March 1, 2013 at 21:00 #

My kind of recipe – let the oven do all the work!
    Does your skate still have the bone (cartilage?) in it, or is it filleted? It looks thicker than what I’m used to…

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:33 #

Yes, the skate still has cartilage. I bought a whole wing and just split it down the middle. Helps is keep its shape during cooking but I think it can be removed too!

10. Marianne March 1, 2013 at 21:35 #

Mmmm looks an easy meal to prepare, and gives you time to do something while it cooks itself in the oven – perfect!

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:33 #

And there are always jobs to be getting on with here while dinner is cooking!

11. chefconnie March 1, 2013 at 22:21 #

Very healthy. Nice dish.

• Chica Andaluza March 2, 2013 at 11:37 #

Thank you – it made a lovely change to eat it this way!

12. DianeT March 1, 2013 at 22:50 #

I love fish, and I looooooove roast veges. The two together – heaven.

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:34 #

So do we, I often cook meat this way and thought I’d give fish the same treatment!

13. Eha March 2, 2013 at 01:19 #

Wonderful simple sensible recipe which would taste marvellous with many kinds of fish [uhuh, don’t easily get skate where I live]. Love both your home names as they stand. Oh yes, are all of you aware what a fabulous writer Anthony Bourdain is? I have just finished ‘Kitchen Confidential’ – his autobiography into his 40s and am about to get the follow up ‘Medium Raw’. Well, yes, quite a bit of well chosen ‘language’ and drugs and sex etc – so be forewarned: but I certainly could not put the book down and learned so many ‘cheffy’ things to boot 🙂 ! Huge fun!!!

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:35 #

Ooh I need to buy the follow up book, have read the first one and enjoyed it! And I think brilliant people are always a bit out of kilter with the rest of the world in terms of behaviour!

14. spree March 2, 2013 at 01:43 #

Several have commented that they don’t find skate here in the states. This is the first time I’ve ever known to be disappointed by its absence! A dish like this Tanya, so fresh, simple, well-flavored, is just the sort of thing we love around our house! Beautifully done!

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:35 #

Such a shame about the lack of skate…but you can make us jealous with all the lovely things that you have there that we don’t!

15. Calico Stretch March 2, 2013 at 02:31 #

Isn’t simple just the best. I hadn’t thought to put the fish in with the vege – don’t know why cos do it chicken all the time. T’is all good.

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:36 #

It’s true – I cook chicken like this often too…worked well with fish and a little quicker 🙂

16. ChgoJohn March 2, 2013 at 08:42 #

I saw skate today at the market and immediately thought of the recipes you’ve posted, Tanya. I chose something else (halibut) only because I couldn’t remember what other ingredients I’d need to cook skate like you had. Next time I’ll remember my smartphone and these things won’t happen. Today’s recipe really does sounds good. There’s definitely a skate dinner in my future, thanks to you. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:37 #

Oh I do hope you come across skate again, it’s one of my favourite fish. Well, that’s a lie actually as I pretty much adore all fish…halibut included!

17. Tandy March 2, 2013 at 08:43 #

Sounds really delicious. I like the down by the sea slogan 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:37 #

Oh good, I think I’ll stick with “Down By the Sea”!

18. Food,Photography & France March 2, 2013 at 09:53 #

Very good healthy food. It also looks great and I can imagine those juices. We eat a lot of “raie” when we go out, but for some reason I never cook it at home. Have to change that.

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:38 #

Yes, raie is popular in France, I’ve eaten it there too. Maybe your local markets will sell it fresh?

19. thecompletecookbook March 2, 2013 at 09:56 #

I love skate and haven’t eaten it for many years! Think it’s time to change that.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:38 #

Oh do give it a go again Mandy! Hope your mum is ok after her op?

20. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide March 2, 2013 at 17:57 #

Oh so pretty. I wish I had a fish monger!

21. Piera Anastasia March 2, 2013 at 18:31 #

Healthy and yummy! Great combo 😉
    If you want to have a look at my blog, it would be so great!!

22. bitsandbreadcrumbs March 3, 2013 at 00:56 #

Like a few others here, I haven’t tried skate nor seen it here. Your roasted preparation is very enticing looking, and I love that the skate looks like he’s still swimming a bit with the shape and the curled edges! 🙂 Nice plate of goodness!

• Chica Andaluza March 4, 2013 at 12:40 #

Yes, the edges do start to curl up when you cook it! Action skate 🙂

23. TBM March 4, 2013 at 08:49 #

OH, paint in the hair. I’ve been there.

24. PendleStitches March 7, 2013 at 17:57 #

I love food like this that is easier to organise than takeaway…and considerably tastier too. Good fish is hard to come by locally, but this works equally well with lovely chicken breasts.

• Chica Andaluza March 7, 2013 at 18:02 #

Last night we had to get a take away (complicated and dull tale) and went for fish & chips. The local take away was, unusually, doing skate wings, but we both agreed they were not a patch on home cooked and smaller and more expensive too!

25. fati's recipes March 8, 2013 at 13:17 #

This is making me crave fish right before bed time! 🙂 I’d love to see this pan fried. Do you have a recipe for that on your blog?

• Chica Andaluza March 8, 2013 at 21:44 #

I have two recipes, just search under skate and they should pop up – one with capers and one with prawns! Hope you like them Fati 🙂

1. Raya a la Gallega – Galician Style Skate | Chica Andaluza - July 27, 2015

[…] this week to turn my attention to Skate, which I generally pan fry or oven cook. Why not try it “a la Gallega” as well? Online recipes told me that the fish is indeed served […]