Sticky Citrus and Marmalade Tray Bake

18 Feb

My mum had a bit of a marmalade making session last week and gave us several jars of her delicious marmalade to enjoy. Thanks Mamma! Putting the marmalade in the cupboard, I came across a jar of my own marmalade from last year which I decided to use up quickly so that I could get onto enjoying the fresh batch more quickly. I decided to make a quick cake and at the same time try out a new baking tin I had just bought – well…why not?!

Going, going....nearly gone!

Going, going….nearly gone!

A BBC Good Food recipe caught my eye, I substituted a mild olive oil for the butter which (I think) makes this cake suitable for vegans as it contains no egg. The vinegar in the recipe sounds odd, but don’t leave it out as it helps the cake to rise and it won’t taste of vinegar, I promise!

Ingredients (to fit a baking tray approx 28 x 23 cm)

• 200g self raising four
  • ½ teaspoon each of ground ginger and cinnamon (original recipe uses 1 teaspoon of mixed spice which I didn’t have)
  • 100g golden caster sugar
  • Zest of 1 orange and ½ lemon
  • 100g mixed dried fruits
  • A pinch of salt
  • 100g of olive oil (original recipe calls for 140g butter which is then melted), weigh the oil as you add it to the mix
  • 5 tablespoons of marmalade
  • 125ml milk
  • 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of brown sugar

Heat the oven to 160c/140c (fan)/gas 3 and line your baking tray. The original recipe uses a 900g/2lb loaf tin and cooks it for 60 minutes.

Place the flour, spices, sugar, zests, dried fruits and a pinch of salt into a bowl and mix. Put the oil (or butter) into a saucepan with 2 tbsp of the marmalade and melt. Mix well, add the milk and then pour over the dry ingredients. Add the vinegar and mix well.

Pour the mixture into your prepared baking tin and bake for about 45 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.

Sticky Citrus and Marmalade Tray Bake (3)

While the cake is baking heat the remaining marmalade with 2 tablespoons of water and the icing sugar. Pour this over the cake when it comes out of the oven then sprinkle it with brown sugar and leave to cool in the tin. You’ll end up with a delicious, citrusy, sticky cake which best pal Ria suggested would also be great served warm with custard. Now you’re talking….

43 Responses to “Sticky Citrus and Marmalade Tray Bake”

1. thecompletebook February 18, 2015 at 16:04 #

Aren’t mom’s just the best! I will be seeing my folks the weekend on our way to Mozambique. Pete and I off an a little adventure and a little work for him but its going to be an awesome week next week!
    Have a beautiful day Tanya.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2015 at 17:02 #

Oh do hope you both have a wonderful trip (and stopover with the parents)! Look forward to hearing about it J

2. Carol Byrne February 18, 2015 at 16:29 #

Reblogged this on toptapas and commented:
    OH YES

3. 76sanfermo February 18, 2015 at 17:07 #

Mi hai convinto!
    Io sono allergica ai latticini , ma qui posso usare latte di soia o di mandorle e l’olio, invece dl burro!
    Grazie, Chica!

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2015 at 17:09 #

Qui abbiamo anche latte di avena che mi piace molto – si puo usare per fare le torte J

4. frugalfeeding February 18, 2015 at 17:10 #

Now this looks like my kinda cake, rustic and well flavoured. Always beats too much icing and decoration for me!

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2015 at 10:09 #

Rustic always beats fancy decoration for me (at least, when I’m making the cake)!

5. narf77 February 18, 2015 at 17:12 #

See…you just ‘get us’ Ms Chica. That’s why we keep coming back through snow and heat and rain and all of the things that keep postmen coming back day after day. And I can eat it? SCORE! Now that we are dragging ourselves off on a 100km round trip school run every day and forcing our middle aged brains to contort as prompted we need food that will keep our energy up and our minds ticking over. You wouldn’t believe the strange things that I have been ladling into takeaway containers and calling ‘lunch’ Ms Chica! I have 2 very precious Myer lemon futures growing on my little tree. They are slowly but surely growing and one day, when they ripen up, I am going to use them in a batch of marmalade specifically so that I can make this most promising cake. I have a batch of marmalade that I made last year on the top of the pantry shelf that is more like toffee than marmalade. I am thinking about sticking toffee apple sticks in it, prying it out of the jars and giving it to the less aged members of our class. Our lecturer says “think outside the box”…do you think I could get a pass on that idea? ;). Thank you for this gloriously promising recipe Ms Chica. It looks like something that you could pry out of the tin, hot from the oven and fall on eagerly, as well as wrangle in and out of a big of cling film for a glorious mid morning snack with a much well deserved cuppa 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2015 at 10:11 #

Yay – so glad this one’s for you. Have something else coming up soon (a lentil type curry) which I think you’ll like too. I love the idea of marmalade lolly pops, even the older folk can suck on them 😉 Hope the studies continue to go well – that’s a lot of commuting, bet the pups miss you L

• narf77 February 19, 2015 at 18:23 #

The pups are doing really well. I had a lot of pensive thought about heading off and leaving them as Bezial was used to it from our last course in 2009 but Earl had never been left before and we had visions of leather couches being eviscerated… pleased to say he hasn’t gutted our furniture (yet) and they are behaving impeccably (at the moment… never say never! 😉 ) and we are trying to cram as much of this ‘maths on a stick’ into our heads before it all starts dribbling out. I can’t wait to see that lentil curry. I used to hate lentils but now I know how to cook them properly I am much happier with them 🙂

6. Mad Dog February 18, 2015 at 17:42 #

I bet that didn’t last long! I use red and white wine vinegar in lots of cooking and believe that once the vinegar taste has cooked off, it adds a natural sweetness 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2015 at 10:12 #

You’re right, I never even got to take a photo of it on a plate, people kept cutting chunks off before it even got out of the tin! I think it’s the first time I’ve used vinegar in baking like this, what a success!

• Mad Dog February 19, 2015 at 12:10 #

Ha ha – that’s wonderful, it shows how much they love your baking 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2015 at 12:22 #

J I hope so!

• Mad Dog February 19, 2015 at 12:38 #

🙂

7. Tony and Elizabeth Halls February 18, 2015 at 17:56 #

Have sent this recipe to daughter for trial. We are so grateful to our cousin ( and yours) for giving us your web site,such exciting recipes. We are having a party using your spicy lamb recipe in celebration of Elizabeth’s great adventure this year ( see http://wheretheyserved.com ) and will let you know what they think about the lamb dish and the marmalade cake with custard. Have you any special recipe for custard?

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2015 at 10:06 #

How wonderful! Are we somehow related via Diane? Do tell! Have taken a look at Elizabeth’s blog – very exciting challenge she is undertaking.

• Tony and Elizabeth Halls February 19, 2015 at 20:02 #

Diane Thorn visited me a few years ago, during her family history research. We are Cousins in descent from the 6th Marquis of Genoa Alexander Grimaldi. Diane recommended your web site, not just because you are also a distant Cousin, but because of your recipies. I am now a great fan

• Chica Andaluza February 23, 2015 at 17:59 #

HI Tony & Elizabeth (not sure who wrote the comment!). I remember Diane telling me about this side of her family history – how very exciting! I love all the family connections and to learn about how the family evolved down the generations. So happy too that you are enjoying the blog and the recipes, thank you!

8. Lynn February 18, 2015 at 18:13 #

That Ria – she’s full of good ideas!! This one was spot on though.

9. Main St. Cuisine February 18, 2015 at 22:33 #

How lovely to freshly made marmalade in the pantry and ready to enjoy. Your cake looks wonderful and I find the addition of olive oil really appealing.

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2015 at 10:05 #

Glad you liked it! I tend to use oil rather than butter now in my baking as when I’m in Spain, it’s trickier to buy good butter and we have our own olive oil readily available 🙂

10. Tandy | Lavender and Lime February 19, 2015 at 04:52 #

This sounds delicious Tanya and I’m adding this to my to do list 🙂

11. TheDorsetFinca February 19, 2015 at 10:50 #

I was just thinking about doing some baking and was struggling for inspiration! Thank you for solving my problem! 🙂

12. Food,Photography & France February 19, 2015 at 14:22 #

Such a good recipe. I have to try this….not having marmalade I guess it would work with Bitter Orange jam which is easy to get here. Oddly white wine vinegar is nearly impossible to get in France ( nobody believes me) but Lidl have an Italian one. Thinking about doing it already:)

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2015 at 19:10 #

How strange about the lack of white wine vinegar in France – I’m sure red wine vinegar would be a perfect substitute, the recipe uses so little. And Bitter Orange Jam…delicious! Do hope you make it – I’m probably making another one tomorrow….

13. Ginger February 19, 2015 at 20:35 #

Looking delicious, as always! My marmalade turned out too sticky this year – too much pectin used, I think – so I am looking to find ways to use it other than desperately trying to spread it on toast 😉 This is such an exciting idea!

14. Maulana Angga February 20, 2015 at 06:19 #

looks so delicious. You are my inspiration. thank you chicha.

15. Rachel February 21, 2015 at 21:13 #

Oh my! This looks and sounds (and smells, I can tell 😉 divine! Perhaps I’ll make it on Monday when it is to be cold again and I can stand to have the oven on. Mmmmm!!…

16. bitsandbreadcrumbs February 23, 2015 at 23:05 #

Marmalade makes everything better…custard, too! 😀

17. abdunnavi March 1, 2015 at 04:31 #

if in indonesian like mendoan hehe

18. Peri's Spice Ladle March 24, 2015 at 20:15 #

I’m having such fun going through all your recipes! This tray bake is bookmarked – it sounds amazing:) I like how simple they are to put together…

19. Raden June 1, 2015 at 20:06 #

looks very tasty, thank you to have shared this recipe

20. Saiful Bahri June 5, 2015 at 09:41 #

Amazing idea to cook . I think Mrs. Chica is a real chef 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 5, 2015 at 09:43 #

Thank you!

• Burhan October 27, 2015 at 15:58 #

i tried to make this. but i failed 😦 mine is not tasty enough

• Chica Andaluza October 27, 2015 at 18:50 #

What a shame, I make this quite often and we really enjoy it.