Easy Greek Style Yogurt

25 Jun

Thick, creamy yogurt

Making yogurt at home is very simple.  No need for yogurt makers, thermometers or complicated equipment. I don´t claim that this yogurt is Greek, as the milk I´m using is from Spanish cows (hopefully!) but the taste is the same creamy taste and texture is thick and gorgeous.

Are you ready?  Ok, then this is what you´ll need.

• Fresh Milk – I used two litres, but you can make any quantity you like.  I also used semi skimmed, but you can use whole or skimmed if you prefer.
  • 1 small carton of live yogurt for your first batch
  • A saucepan with a lid
  • A hand whisk
  • A thermos flask big enough for your quantity of milk (optional)
  • A sieve
  • A piece of clean cloth for straining (I used a clean handkerchief – perfect size for my sieve!)
  • A little patience

Start by heating your milk until small bubbles start to form around the edges of the pan. Turn off the heat and whisk in your carton of yogurt.

That´s it for now!  You have several options at your fingertips to get this milk to do its magic and turn into yogurt.

As it´s hot here at the moment, I put a lid on my pot and sit it in the sun for about five hours.

You can put a lid on the pot and leave it in a very, very low oven for up to 12 hours – check on it after about 5 hours to see how it´s doing.  You can even leave it overnight.

Put it into a warmed thermos flask and leave overnight.

When you´ve done this and waited patiently, your yogurt will have formed and will look like this.

Yogurt before straining

Yogurt with some watery liquid surrounding it.  You could just whisk it all together and eat it as it is, it´s pretty delicious already.

To make it into Greek style yogurt you will need to strain it.  Set your sieve over a deep bowl or pot, line with clean muslin (or whatever), pour the yogurt in and leave to strain in the fridge.

Set it over a bowl to strain

I left mine overnight.

Yogurt after overnight straining

When the time is up, you are left with quite a large amount of liquid which can be used in cooking or given to your chickens!

Liquid lost after straining

and a lovely bowl of super thick and creamy yogurt (give it a beat to loosen it all up, then keep chilled).

The finished product

If you keep back two or three tablespoons, you´ve got your starter for the next batch.

What you do with your delicious yogurt now is only limited by your imagination….!

34 Responses to “Easy Greek Style Yogurt”

1. thecompletecookbook June 25, 2011 at 09:20 #

Oh that does look fabulous and I bet your chickens enjoy the liquid too. Can’t say I have made my own yoghurt before – sad really, but there are (at home) so many wonderful varieties available at Woolworths. I hang my head in shame.

• chicaandaluza June 25, 2011 at 12:20 #

It´s so creamy and lovely! I didn´t used to make it that often, but until about a year ago, pretty much all the yogurt sold here had sweetener in it which I don´t like. It´s also hard to get fresh milk 😦 as it´s mainly UHT, so when I do a “big shop” I load up! Is Woolworths a supermarket where you are then? In the UK it used to be a shop that sold DVDs, household goods and pick n mix sweeties (yum) until it went out of business a couple of years ago…

2. thecompletecookbook June 25, 2011 at 13:06 #

I also battled terribly to source fresh milk here on the island – I cannot wait to have it available all over again when we get home. Just 3 more sleeps until we fly off the island. 😀 Our Woolworths is if I am not mistaken is associated with your (British) Marks and Spencer.

• chicaandaluza June 25, 2011 at 16:19 #

It´s funny about the milk – I´m not a milk drinker, but when I use it I do like to have fresh. So…Woolworths is like M&S, you lucky things! 3 more sleeps…..you must be so excited! Best of luck with the trip.

3. Rachel June 25, 2011 at 13:36 #

I can get good cow milk at the farmers’ markets and sometimes even goat milk. Goat milk yogurt is awfully good… or sheep if you have friends who raise them. Not so much sheep in Texas, but lots of goats — they like the heat. And, if you strain a Greek-style yogurt even longer it moves toward a boursin… creamy, spreadable, and so good. mmmm!

• chicaandaluza June 25, 2011 at 16:20 #

Good point Rachel. We can get goats milk here if one of the goatherds is feeling generous – have usually made a curd cheese with it, but never thought to make yogurt. Will give this a go next time and will leave some to strain for longer to get a cream cheese liked you said. How exciting!

4. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 25, 2011 at 14:34 #

Hmm, how hot is too hot? It’s in the 90s here. Upper 90s. So mid 30s in Celsius. Looks great.

• chicaandaluza June 25, 2011 at 16:22 #

It was about 30 degrees (so 90 ish) when I made it. Any hotter though and I think you can kill all the happy bacteria 😦 so I would just leave it in the slightly cooler house and let it do it´s thing more slowly. It is so much nicer than the shop stuff we get here which is full of artificial sweeteners (yuk!).

5. trevorhunt June 25, 2011 at 16:28 #

Hi Tanya, This looks great! Its a bit manic here to say the least with stuff that l cannot share on here at the moment so patience will have to wait, but, l will have a go at this. I will keep up with my blog but sorry if l don’t comment so much. Have a great weekend with your friends. Trevor.

• chicaandaluza June 27, 2011 at 00:00 #

Hi Trevor, I appreciate your taking the time to comment, especially if all is a bit manic for you. Hhope all is ok at your end. Take care, Tanya

6. chaiselongue1 June 25, 2011 at 17:08 #

This looks great! It’s years since I’ve made yoghurt, but I must try again sometime since you’ve reminded me I can just leave it to work in the heat here. In Wales I had to put it in the airing cupboard! We can buy Greek yoghurt in supermarkets here, though, so there’s not the same incentive you have. Those ones with sweeteners added are disgusting, aren’t they?

• chicaandaluza June 27, 2011 at 00:01 #

When I was in the UK I used to use the airing cupboard too! Yuk to sweeteners, but if you can get nice yogurt locally you´re lucky!

7. florence and freddie June 25, 2011 at 17:21 #

Hi Chica. Impressive! Looks delicious. Beats going on a 2 hour round trip to buy some! One question. How long, when made, will this keep in the fridge?
    Florence x

• chicaandaluza June 27, 2011 at 00:02 #

Not sure as we usually eat it quite quickly, but would think about a week. Will have to do a trial and taste it daily!

8. TheDorsetFinca June 25, 2011 at 19:31 #

That looks incredible! Lovely with a bit of organic honey.

• chicaandaluza June 27, 2011 at 00:03 #

Now you´re talking….organic honey, delicious!

9. ....RaeDi June 26, 2011 at 01:02 #

This looks incredible, it will be my first try at making my own yogurt, you make it sound easy….RaeDi

10. JamieAnne June 26, 2011 at 06:10 #

I’ve seen a few recipes now for homemade yogurt. I’m going to have to give it a go. I’m searching for a slow cooker recipe for it….it’s how I roll.

Great post!

I made strawberry freezer jam today, your yogurt plus my strawberry jam=a darn good fruity yogurt.

• chicaandaluza June 27, 2011 at 00:05 #

Oh yes, sounds wonderful. Or your jam on the overnight oatmeal bread…..!

11. thefooddoctor June 26, 2011 at 10:50 #

My mum makes home made greek yogurt and it tastes better than anything you can buy..
    Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe

• chicaandaluza June 27, 2011 at 00:06 #

It really is so different and sooooo much better! Had some for breakfast this morning with pear, apple and melon and it was wonderful.

12. Erwan Heussaff June 29, 2011 at 04:35 #

home made youghurt is such a comfort!

• chicaandaluza June 29, 2011 at 11:46 #

The very best! Off to have a look at your blog, thanks for visiting!

13. Fired Up Cooking SA July 10, 2011 at 20:19 #

I am addicted to greek yoghurt, so I am thrilled to see this recipe! I’ve made yoghurt in a thermos before, but didn’t know that straining it through a cloth made it so thick and creamy. Thanks for the tips.

I like my yoghurt with a spoon or two of home-made lemon curd stirred in….I have a wonderful microwave lemon curd recipe which is so quick and delicious, I can indulge often!! 🙂

• chicaandaluza July 10, 2011 at 21:46 #

I like the idea of yogurt with lemon curd…and making it in a microwave sounds great. Is the recipe on your blog? If not, please do put it up!!

14. foodblogandthedog August 20, 2011 at 20:13 #

Help my milk hasn’t yoghurted yet, it’s been in the sun for 4 hours. I’m going to put it in the oven for a bit. When you say very low, do you mean 50 C?

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 20:50 #

Oh dear! I´m surprised with this heat….yes, put it in a low oven for a few hours, maybe a little higher though, say 80 degree so that it mimics the outside temperature.

Do e-mail me later if you´re still having problems. It was an “active” yogurt you used wasn´t it to start it off? Good luck, Tanya

1. Garlic and Herb Cream Cheese | Chica Andaluza - July 30, 2011

[…] long ago I posted on how I make Greek style yogurt.  Rachel from And Then Make Soup, commented that if I left the yogurt to drain for a little […]

2. Up The Mountain Soda Bread | Chica Andaluza - August 7, 2011

[…] looking for a reason to use up the whey (or maybe it´s called something else) which came off the yogurt and cream cheese I had made the day […]

3. Dukkah Cream Cheese Balls | Chica Andaluza - August 10, 2011

[…] discovering you can make yogurt and cream cheese from UHT (long life) milk, my life has changed!  I´m making them both all the […]

4. Fresh Fruit Salad with Lemon Thyme Dressing « RaeDi at Hummingbird Hollow - August 21, 2011

[…] yogurt  (homemade Greek Style) know-hows I got at my friend, Chicaandaluza.  What a wonderful person you […]

5. Speedy Strawberry Delight « Chica Andaluza - May 30, 2012

[…] a cup of thick creamy natural yogurt (I used […]

6. Creamy Goat´s Cheese Paté « Chica Andaluza - July 18, 2012

[…] friendly local goatherd bought round some milk for us the other day, so I turned it into yogurt and then cream cheese.  So very […]