Sort of Saag Aloo

8 Jul

Yummy curry...

I love Indian food.  If I had to choose a favourite cuisine, I think Indian would be it.  We do have a few Indian restaurants not too far away from us (i.e. about half an hour´s drive) but I usually get my curry fix when I go to London.  I was lucky enough to live in a neighbourhood that was predominantly Indian and African, so I was spoilt for choice in wonderful ethnic restaurants.

Sometimes, however, my cravings get the better of me and I have to make curry at home. Big Man hasn´t ever really “had” the full curry experience, so doesn´t really understand my need for curry, but on the occasions I´ve made something  “currified”, he´s enjoyed it.

We currently have a lot of chard growing and usually eat it wilted with oil and lemon juice but I decided to substitute the spinach in a Saag Aloo (that´s a Spinach and Potato curry) for chard, and see how it worked.  Fortunately it was a perfect substitution and Big Man adored it.  I think he´s starting to become a curry monster like me!

Freshly picked but not yet cleaned

I lay no claims to the authenticity of the spices I use in relation to a real Indian Saag Aloo, but the combination worked well and had good spicy (but not too hot) flavour.

Ingredients used:

Smells wonderful even before cooking

3 teaspoons of Garam Masala mix (you can buy ready made or make your own). I used a mix bought over by a friend which a chef friend of hers makes up and I then grind as I need it.  I don´t know the exact mix but I picked out coriander seeds, curry leaves, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cinnamon and coriander.

1 or 2 teaspoons of hot chili powder (or use mild) according to taste

1 teaspoon of ground turmeric

Half a teaspoon of mustard seeds

Two medium potatoes (mine were ready cooked as it´s what I had in the fridge but you can use raw) cubed

About 3 cups of uncooked (or just wilted in its own steam), chopped spinach or chard, otherwise you can use frozen

About half a cup of chopped tomatoes

3 cloves of crushed garlic

Oil for frying (something with little flavour, not olive oil)

Salt

Lemon

Start by frying the potatoes until lightly browned then remove them from the pan and drain off most of the oil.

Fry your potatoes

Fry the spices until they start to release the most wonderful  smells and then add the garlic and fry until it softens.

Breathe deeply and enjoy the wonderful spicy scents

Add the tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes then add your spinach or chard.

Add your spinach or chard to the tomato

Put a lid on the pan and simmer for another 5 minutes or so then add the potatoes.

Add salt, Indian food can take (and usually needs) a heavy hand with the salt, but use low sodium if you can´t use regular.

Simmer, uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated but all of the vegetables are coated in the tomato and spice sauce.

I like this served with a generous squeeze of lemon juice.

Can be served as a side dish or a main (vegetarian) dish with plain boiled basmati rice.  Now, where are my popadoms?!

19 Responses to “Sort of Saag Aloo”

1. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 9, 2011 at 00:08 #

Looks wonderful. I love there’s always something new to do with potatoes.

• chicaandaluza July 9, 2011 at 09:45 #

Potatoes with potatoes as far as I´m concerned!

• Rachel July 10, 2011 at 00:48 #

Ain’t that the truth? Mmmm… and greens make me happy as well. I usually pair greens with beans, but this looks great! I’ll be trying it soon!

• chicaandaluza July 10, 2011 at 17:39 #

Greens and beans sounds wonderful! We love our veggies here…but the potato works really well with the chard.

• chicaandaluza July 9, 2011 at 09:45 #

And the BBC Good Food Wedsite! Thanks for stopping by Calogero, hope to see you again soon 🙂

2. ambrosiana July 9, 2011 at 01:50 #

Fantastic!!! I am not very familiar with Indian food since I grew up in Honduras, where there were no Indian restaurants. I love the fact that growing up in London, you had all these mixtures of gastronomic cultures, including Indian which is very diffused in the UK. I love curry and I sometimes “introduce” it to my husband when I cook some middle eastern recipes!!! And I have to say that he is beginning to like it!!

• chicaandaluza July 9, 2011 at 09:46 #

Yes, curry is almost typially English now! It´s funny but it hasn´t really taken off as much in countries like Spain, France and Italy – but they already have so much lovely food which they are rightfully proud of. I do miss it though 😦

3. JamieAnne July 9, 2011 at 03:03 #

Looks interesting. I’m not an Indian food person. I’m not sure I’ve ever eaten Indian food, but when I was pregnant with my first child we lived below an Indian couple and let’s just say Indian spices and morning sickness are not a good combo.

I might try this. I’ll let you know if I do.

• chicaandaluza July 9, 2011 at 09:47 #

Oh dear, pity you with your morning sickness and strong food smells. You probably associate the smell of curry ow with not feeling so good. What a shame 😦

4. chaiselongue1 July 9, 2011 at 08:29 #

What a great idea! We have so much chard in the garden at the moment and can’t keep up with it. I must try this. We used to eat a lot of Indian food years ago when we lived in Oxford and took it with us to Wales, where our children grew up thinking curry was traditional Sunday lunch, but here we don’t so much….but why not?

• chicaandaluza July 9, 2011 at 09:48 #

Same here, if I wasn´t out eating curry I was at home cooking it! It´s not very mediterranean, that´s probably why we both eat it less now…:(

5. TBM July 9, 2011 at 21:05 #

Your postings always make me hungry!

6. nuvofelt July 10, 2011 at 14:34 #

Yum. I like chard. It has so much more going for it than ‘cabbage’! Memories of pungent, wet cabbage at school haunt me to this day.

• chicaandaluza July 10, 2011 at 17:38 #

Oh dear, school dinner cabbage…I used to hide mine under the lumpy mashed potato! Chard is great, a nice slightly earthy taste but fresh too.

7. Maulana Angga February 20, 2015 at 08:16 #

Looks wonderful, your posting always make me hungry haha.

1. A weekend harvest | olivesandartichokes - July 10, 2011

[…] won’t keep for storage, so we’ve been trying to use them.  I’ve made Chica Andaluza’s sort of saag aloo, which we’ll eat for supper tonight, because we have a glut of chard in the garden too, and […]

2. Curried Meatballs « Chica Andaluza - April 13, 2012

[…] ate ours with my Sort of Saag Aloo made with the first of our spinach which is now ready to […]