Mediterranean Vegetable Stack

16 Jul

My Humble Homage to the Beautiful Berenjena

I adore aubergines, so when my first two aubergines were ripe for picking, I decided to treat them with the love that they deserved.

My two little purple beauties

It was a very simple dish, especially if you already have some tomato sauce made.  If not, fry up a little garlic, add some chopped tomatoes, a slug of red wine and some basil then season and simmer.

I sliced my aubergines (eggplant) and grilled them on the barbecue until smoky and tender.  Then I put them on an oven tray and layered them with pesto, cheese, tomato sauce and basil leaves.

Then I popped it all into a hot oven for about 10 minutes until the cheese had softened (it was a very hard goat´s cheese, so it didn´t really melt!).

Finally I drizzled some basil oil over, poured myself a glass of rosé and sat back to pay homage to my first little purple beauties of the summer.

38 Responses to “Mediterranean Vegetable Stack”

1. Ria July 16, 2011 at 10:33 #

Delicious! A perfect homage to your first aubergines 🙂 I’m hungry now!

2. chaiselongue1 July 16, 2011 at 11:03 #

Perfect! Nothing like the first aubergines of the summer and knowing there are a lot more to come. And all these flavours are made for each other – aubergine, tomato, basil, olive oil, goats’ cheese.

• chicaandaluza July 17, 2011 at 10:03 #

All the best of the summer, and you´re right, they´re made for each other!

3. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 16, 2011 at 16:01 #

Ha, I love doing this. But I only do the cheese, not the sauce. I’ll have to try that sometime. Your eggplants look wonderful.

• chicaandaluza July 17, 2011 at 10:04 #

It´s a bit like a cheat´s Melenzane alla Parmigiana…!

4. Dani July 16, 2011 at 16:22 #

Lovely dish ! The best for a summer evening !

5. JamieAnne July 16, 2011 at 22:44 #

Lovely eggplants my dear!

6. fati's recipes July 17, 2011 at 13:31 #

I don’t know what to say:

Simple but Amazing.
    or
    Simply Amazing.

I’ll say both. 🙂

• chicaandaluza July 17, 2011 at 23:02 #

Aah – so I´ll say thank you and ¡gracias!

• fati's recipes July 18, 2011 at 07:01 #

No hay de que, señora 🙂

• fati's recipes July 18, 2011 at 07:03 #

…oh my god, is that correct? I still pretend I know Spanish ….. at least one day I used to know it….. :-s

• chicaandaluza July 18, 2011 at 17:59 #

Está completamente corecto! ¡Enhorabuena!

7. Rachel July 17, 2011 at 17:13 #

Oh lovely. I have trouble cooking aubergines, and I don’t know why! I sure am good at eating them, though! Love this idea!

• chicaandaluza July 17, 2011 at 23:03 #

They are quite funny little things to cook. I have often set fire to an extra thin slice by accident!

• Rachel July 18, 2011 at 15:23 #

Well, I’ve never done *that* (grin)… but they rarely come out as expected! Here’s the *one* recipe (so far at least!) that works for me: no-fail eggplant Its a bit more “wintery” but its awfully good…

• chicaandaluza July 18, 2011 at 18:01 #

You´re a sfarer cookt na me then! Am off now to check out your recipe as have just picked four more which I need to cook…thanks!

8. thefooddoctor July 17, 2011 at 23:47 #

Those eggplants are true beauties
    I love love love the recipe..will have to try it soon

9. spicegirlfla July 18, 2011 at 00:41 #

I love eggplants and when I opened this post I was so shocked as I just made a dish so similar to this!! You will see it posted soon; a bit different and I’m now going to try out yours with the sauce! Lucky you to have these in your garden!

10. Tandy July 18, 2011 at 08:42 #

they look amazing! Well done on producing something not only pretty to look at, but I am sure great to eat 🙂

11. Christina July 18, 2011 at 17:26 #

Mmmm…I love grilled eggplant. So simple and delicious. 🙂

• chicaandaluza July 18, 2011 at 18:01 #

Me too, and my garden is now producing loads of them!

12. ambrosiana July 18, 2011 at 18:00 #

Those berenjenas look bien “guapas”!!! When you said hard goat cheese, it reminded me of the great goat cheeses I had when I went to Spain !!! I am thinking Manchego!!!Uhhmmmm muy rico!!!

13. Karen July 18, 2011 at 18:00 #

When you think of Mediterranean food, one of the first things that comes to my mind are tomatoes and aubergines. Simple and oh so flavorful…it’s a dish I love.

14. foodblogandthedog July 19, 2011 at 20:13 #

Beautiful berenjenas! I took some pictures of some growing today and am making an aubergine curry tonight. This looks like a really simple tasty dish, might have to do the grilling on my trusty griddle pan!!

• chicaandaluza July 19, 2011 at 23:54 #

Get that grill pan out! I adore aubergine curry. Actually, I pretty much adore aubergine anything 🙂

15. kat July 20, 2011 at 04:10 #

I love eggplants! you should try marcella hazan’s tomato sauce! 3 ingredients: can of whole tomatoes, onion, and butter and it takes less than an hour! I did a post on it here: http://shecooksandheeats.wordpress.com/2011/07/16/i-want-me-some-meatballs-and-spaghetti/. Please check it out and let me what you think! I’m new to blogging, and I love that there’s a foodie community. Please let me know if you have any advice 🙂

• chicaandaluza July 20, 2011 at 16:26 #

Sounds good although I´d use olive oil instead of butter – there´s a huge food community here, have fun with your blogging. Will go and check out your blog in a moment!

16. Olga SE August 2, 2011 at 19:27 #

It must be delicious! I’ve bookmarked the post. Tanya, you have so many vegetable recipes I adore. Are you a vegetarian?

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 19:36 #

Glad you liked it Olga! No, I am a devoted meat and fish eater. We grow most of our own veg and I enjoy doing things with it as when we eat out here (bizarrely as the veg is so good) the restaurants only ever offer very dull salads and chips….I wanted to introduce my Big Man to new things other than over cooked beans and boring salads. it seems to be working!

17. ....RaeDi August 3, 2011 at 01:22 #

Thank you for this recipe, and hope for more, I am just starting to use the lovely little creatures, so far I wonder how come I had not eaten them until recently? ….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza August 3, 2011 at 09:17 #

Big Man is still not a convert…I´m hoping that one day I´ll find the perfect recipe that will tip him over into my camp!

18. Christie Nix August 8, 2011 at 23:49 #

Looks AMAZING! Adding this recipe to the top of my list of things I have to try! Your blog is amazing!

• chicaandaluza August 9, 2011 at 00:00 #

Thank you so much! Have just had a peek at some of your amazing photos – you are a very talented lady.

1. Leaning Tower of Eggplant « Savoring Every Bite - July 19, 2011

[…] recently Chicaandaluza posted her eggplant stack layered with marinara.  This too is a great idea; check it out […]

2. » Leaning Tower of Eggplant Savoring Every Bite - September 4, 2012