Stuffed Grilled Peppers

22 Jul

The Huerto, or Vegetable Garden, is doing well.  Although we won´t get to enjoy all of it over the summer, we are making the most of our vegetable bounty before we leave for the UK. The long thin peppers are doing well. Typically here they are used in salads or deep fried and served with a good sprinkle of salt.

To try something different, and because I had plenty of Creamy Goat´s Cheese “Paté”, I made this dish recently. Very easy and quick to prepare, and you can add whatever flavours/herbs you have to hand and enjoy.

Ingredients

• 4 medium long green peppers
  • 200g cream cheese paté (or mix your favourite herbs and spices into a tub of cream cheese)

Blanch the whole peppers in boiling water for about 3 or 4 minutes, drain and leave until cool enough to handle.

Cut a slit down the middle of each pepper to create an opening and then fill with cream cheese. Use a cocktail stick to seal them.

I cooked mine on the griddle pan which I had sprayed with a very little olive oil. This would also work on a barbecue. Start with the uncut side first. When they are done on one side, flip them over and cook the other side which will probably need less time.

Remove from the heat and take out the cocktail stick. Serve either warm or at room temperature with a little drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of good coarse sea salt.

50 Responses to “Stuffed Grilled Peppers”

1. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen July 22, 2012 at 00:38 #

I’m always looking for appetizers like this out at the lake.. cheesy and quick to remember and make! Love this one! Do you think a spicy pepper would be too much?? xx Smidge

• Chica Andaluza July 22, 2012 at 09:31 #

I think a spicy pepper would be perfect – unfortunately here we either have tiny “blow your head off” peppers or regular ones like the ones I used 😦 I need to track down some jalapeño seeds!

2. Mad Dog July 22, 2012 at 01:20 #

They look so good – I wish I was in Spain 😉

3. ceciliag July 22, 2012 at 05:21 #

I love this cream cheese pate, and as for those peppers! YUM! c

• Chica Andaluza July 22, 2012 at 09:32 #

They were very good indeed and, amazingly, didn´t burst open!

4. Eha July 22, 2012 at 05:23 #

This is easy and great and I would definitely do my own ‘daily mix’ for the cream cheese 🙂 ! Quite interesting: I do know my peppers but have not seen a sweet green one long but slim such as this in Australian markets. Love growing peppers in spring/summer, so have to look at the heritage seed catalogues!

• Chica Andaluza July 22, 2012 at 09:33 #

I don´t know what their proper name is as here in Andalucía everyone either grows or buys them and they are just called “Peppers for Frying”!

5. Peri's Spice Ladle July 22, 2012 at 06:14 #

These look absolutely delicious…love goat cheese in any form! And I like that you cooked them on the griddle instead of deep frying:)

• Chica Andaluza July 22, 2012 at 09:39 #

Yes, I wasn´t sure how well they would hold together but it was fine and they tasted lovely…all smokey!

6. TheDorsetFinca July 22, 2012 at 08:52 #

I love stuffed peppers – but I’ve never tried a cream-cheese filling. It reminds me a bit of the recipes you can get in Turkish mezze (which I could eat all day long)!

• Chica Andaluza July 22, 2012 at 09:35 #

Now that you mention it, yes it´s very similar (I think they use slightly smaller peppers in Turkey?). On their own the Spanish peppers can be a bit bland (at least for my taste) so jazzing them up a bit works well 🙂

7. Promenade Claire July 22, 2012 at 09:46 #

Perfect and so true they would be great at a barbi ! My peppers are doing ok, some have been munched by a mystery muncher, but it’s still early days in the greenhouse!

8. cookinginsens July 22, 2012 at 10:04 #

Looks great. We have that type of Spanish pepper here 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 22, 2012 at 11:03 #

I think they have them in Italy too but I´ve never come across them in the UK…

9. makedospend July 22, 2012 at 10:58 #

These look so delicious, great tapas idea 🙂
    -E

10. gardenfreshtomatoes July 22, 2012 at 12:52 #

Note to self: Plant more peppers next year…Only red bells in this year’s garden.
    I’ll see what I can pick up at the farmer’s market, though…this is a must-try!

• Chica Andaluza July 22, 2012 at 13:25 #

Hope you manage to plant more – we didn´t plant as many as usual as we won´t be here to enjoy them 😦

11. thecompletecookbook July 22, 2012 at 13:10 #

I love easy recipes like this that pack a punch of flavour – scrumity!!!

12. Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy July 22, 2012 at 13:50 #

What a fantastic idea!!!! So simple, so elegant, so creamy!

13. Roger Stowell July 22, 2012 at 14:11 #

Beautiful peppers – I was cooking some of those just yesterday in a ratatouille. They look wonderful with the charred edges.

• Chica Andaluza July 22, 2012 at 15:02 #

Thanks Roger – it seems to add a little smokiness to the flavour too which I love!

14. PendleStitches July 22, 2012 at 18:31 #

Roasted peppers are divine. Stuffed roasted peppers are even better. Throw in some crusty bread and a glass of wine and I run out of superlatives!

15. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 22, 2012 at 18:37 #

Hey look at my pretty mug in your community. Woo hoo. OK, anyway I love grilled peppers. Fill them with cheese, even better. And I love simple recipes, especially in the summer.

16. ChgoJohn July 22, 2012 at 19:42 #

I really do like using cream cheese to stuff peppers, Tanya, and roasting those peppers is a great way to add another flavor level. Over here, we’ll take jalapeños and stuff them with cream cheese before breading and deep frying them. I like your way better!

• Chica Andaluza July 23, 2012 at 10:23 #

I really want to grow some jalapeños – next year hopefully! Deep frying them is soooo good, but this made a lovely change 🙂

17. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise July 22, 2012 at 21:29 #

Cream cheese stuffed peppers! that is brilliant. I can only imagine how good these taste!
    I love green peppers and love the flavor they add to any recipe!

• Chica Andaluza July 23, 2012 at 10:24 #

I wondered if they wouldn´t be as good as deep fried – they were very good indeed, just different!

18. Michelle July 23, 2012 at 03:00 #

Yum!

19. Tandy July 23, 2012 at 08:28 #

I hope that your garden continues to provide you with bounty!

20. ambrosiana July 23, 2012 at 08:38 #

Very clever idea for chiles rellenos! We always stuff them with meat but I like your cheese pate stuffing better since it is lighter!!

21. Karen July 24, 2012 at 13:02 #

I have Italian frying peppers growing in the garden and they would be perfect for your recipe.

• Chica Andaluza July 24, 2012 at 16:31 #

They would be ideal for this – I used the Spanish frying peppers which I guess are probably pretty much the same!

• Karen July 24, 2012 at 16:49 #

I think they probably are…they look the same from your photo.

22. spree July 24, 2012 at 18:44 #

ahhh savory creamy perfectly charred bites! these sound fantastic! i know a few people who would love these!

23. narf77 July 24, 2012 at 23:31 #

NOW your talking! And not a single Yotam Ottolenghi in sight…maybe YOU should put out a cookbook? I know I would buy it!

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2012 at 09:18 #

Ah…you never know, watch this space!

• narf77 July 25, 2012 at 11:27 #

Glued to it! 🙂

24. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 25, 2012 at 17:10 #

These peppers are right up my alley, and I forget how much I love cheese stuffed peppers until I see them…and WANT them!

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2012 at 18:04 #

I agree – I hadn´t made them for ages (in fact, I usually fry them, so this was a first) and they were so good!