Pear, Lime and Ginger Preserve

6 Jul

Fruity, Spicy and Tangy!

Over at Lavender and Lime, Tandy has set a Weekly Food Challenge to cook using citrus fruits.  Anyone who pops over to my blog regularly will probably have noticed that I use a lot of oranges in my cooking, particularly salads, so I felt inspired to take part in my first ever challenge!

I´m not sure if you´re allowed to submit two recipes, but I recently put up a post for one of my very favourite salads, Ensalada Cateta, so I´m putting that one forward too!

However, I also thought I´d like to try something different and as I´m in jam making mode this week, I had a little play around with ingredients. After the visit from my friends from the UK last week I had a few limes left over from a Mojito session, so I took it from there.

I love pears, but tend to either eat them as they are, or with cheese, or poached in wine.  How about trying a chunky, spicy preserve instead?  I could eat it on bread or toast, or serve it, almost like a soft quince jelly with cheese or, finally, as a sweet option drizzled over creamy vanilla ice cream.

In the end I decided to marry the pears with lime juice and fresh ginger, and I have to say I was thrilled with the results.  Just a hint of the tang of lime and the warmth of the ginger combined with the fresh taste of the pears.  Pears contain a lot of water so I cooked the preserve for about half an hour for the quantities given below on a gentle boil.  The final result left me with soft pear chunks which still held their shape and a jelly like syrup.

I used the following:

500g of pears (peeled weight) chopped into small chunks

250g sugar

A piece of fresh ginger (about 3cm in length) peeled and grated

The juice of two limes

For the method I used, please see either my Ruby Jewel Jam recipe or my Summer Cherry Jam recipe.  This quantity gave me two medium jars of preserve.  I do hope you enjoy it, it has an almost autumnal taste to it – I think it must be the ginger!

22 Responses to “Pear, Lime and Ginger Preserve”

1. Tandy July 6, 2011 at 09:58 #

oh divine! And thank you for taking part in the challenge!

2. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 6, 2011 at 14:18 #

That looks wonderful! I love pear with ginger and the lime must make it even better.

• chicaandaluza July 6, 2011 at 14:26 #

I think I´ll go made when I make it again (and I will be making it again!) and put the lime zest in too.

3. spicegirlfla July 6, 2011 at 14:59 #

Mmmm this really sounds so good. And as you said, an autumnal feel to it. I would love to serve this with a toasted herb baguette, some cheese and glass of prosecco!

• chicaandaluza July 6, 2011 at 19:38 #

Ooh, that sounds good and I´m particularly liking the glass of prosecco!!

4. JamieAnne July 6, 2011 at 16:30 #

This fruit spread looks wonderful!

5. gisellecagli July 6, 2011 at 18:28 #

I love the combination of pears, lime, and ginger!! Like you, I use citrus fruits a lot. For example, I use lemon instead of using vinegar o salads and it tastes better!!!

• chicaandaluza July 6, 2011 at 19:39 #

Oh those lemons – we planted a lemon tree when we moved into our house and now (finally) 3 yeard later, I can just walk out the door into the garden and pick a lemon!

6. TheDorsetFinca July 6, 2011 at 20:50 #

I always love ginger in things… it makes me desperate to get out the preserving pan!!

7. Rachel July 7, 2011 at 02:26 #

Oh yum! I just bought two pomelo trees that will live in pots along with my other citrus trees (Meyer lemon, Mexican lime, etc – I love them!). One of the new ones has a fruit bigger than my fist on it already… I’ll keep you posted!

• chicaandaluza July 7, 2011 at 09:23 #

You lucky thing! We have two lemons and an orange, but so far only one of the lemons is delivering! Maybe I should think about getting more?! Looking forward to seeing a post about your citrus trees 🙂

8. TBM July 7, 2011 at 15:26 #

Love this idea!

9. thefooddoctor July 8, 2011 at 22:17 #

That is a brilliant flavor combination..thanx for sharing

10. Colleen July 28, 2011 at 22:05 #

Ooooh yummy! I can just imagine how delicious this would be with a nice blue cheese on crackers….xx

• chicaandaluza July 28, 2011 at 23:04 #

Love blue cheese, will now have to make some more of this jam to try it out this way 🙂

11. Kursus ACLS August 18, 2016 at 06:28 #

Thanks for your inspiration recipe ..it looks delicious

1. Something Savoury « Lavender and Lime - July 10, 2011

[…] Chica Andaluza is a first timer has delighted my taste buds with a pear, lime and ginger preserve. Take a look here for her ensalada cateta! Cindy has cooked up a stir fry using ClemenGolds. Browniegirl Colleen has made the most amazing tarte tatin. She also used ClemenGolds!  A Dash Of Domestic is another first timer and she has an intriguing bread recipe using chocolate and zucchini. […]