Barbecued Shoulder of Goat with Za´atar

10 Jul

So tasty!

When my pals came over from the UK recently they came bearing gifts, just like the wise men.  One package was from my lovely mother and she had made up Za´atar and Dukkah for me.  What a lovely mum I have!  We can´t get them or all the ingredients to make them up here.  At least, I can´t seem to track them down, and it´s always lovely to have a gift like this as every time you use it, you think of the person who gave it to you.

We had a very small shoulder of goat in the freezer (enough for two hungry people or two regular appetites with enough left over for sandwiches) and I thought I´d do it on the barbecue.

It was very easy to pull together and quick to cook.  I made a package with a double layer of foil to put the meat in the seasoned the meat with salt before sprinkling over and rubbing in the Za´atar.

Give it a little massage...

I wrapped it up and put it onto the barbecue at a low heat for about 40 minutes and that was it.

Oh go on then....just one more slice!

We ate it with lemon juice squeezed over, a big salad and some cold runner beans from the garden dressed with lemon juice and olive oil.  Oh, and a glass of wine of course!

31 Responses to “Barbecued Shoulder of Goat with Za´atar”

1. florence and freddie July 10, 2011 at 18:18 #

Hi Chica. This looks delicious. 40 minutes is that all?! Great idea. Saves heating up the house, with the over on, this time of year. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards Florence x

• chicaandaluza July 10, 2011 at 21:36 #

It really was 40 mins – but it was a pretty small shoulder of goat! It sort of steamed and roasted at the same time and was gorgeous! And no pots to wash up either which is always a good thing…:)

2. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 10, 2011 at 18:48 #

Perfect! So tender and simple. I need British friends to come bearing gifts!

• chicaandaluza July 10, 2011 at 21:37 #

Very simple, I seem to have abandoned anything complex in the last couple of months (must be the heat). Will have to send my pals in your direction with a suitcase full of goodies!

3. chaiselongue1 July 10, 2011 at 19:00 #

That looks and sounds wonderful! How lucky you are with your friends! We can sometimes buy Za’atar here when we catch a Palestinian or Moroccan stall in a market, but otherwise I suppose could make it up, except for the sumac which may be difficult to find.

• chicaandaluza July 10, 2011 at 21:41 #

It´s the same here – the sumac is impossible to find. Lucky I have a clever mum!

4. thefooddoctor July 10, 2011 at 19:06 #

Oh boy! that looks so good!
    My mum makes me za’tar and duqqa too 🙂 I still have to try making them myself..Za’tar is do-able
    it is the duqqa that takes 101 ingredients! lol

• chicaandaluza July 10, 2011 at 21:42 #

Aren´t we lucky yo have mums who make these things – hope you get to share some of your mum´s! It really was so lovely, very simple, but totally delicious.

5. foodblogandthedog July 10, 2011 at 19:08 #

I always get my family & friends to bring stuff when they come out. Usually vanilla extract and allspice berries, and my latest favourite thing sumac. You’d think being so near to Morocco we could get these things but no. Although, there is a new Moroccan butchers opened where we are that sells a few things including lovely arab bread. Your gazpacho looks lovely, what- no garlic?!! 😀

• chicaandaluza July 10, 2011 at 21:44 #

Vanilla extract and allspice are usually on my list too! It´s strange, as you say, that being so close to Morocco that we don´t get them here. Arab bread, you lucky thing! And no, no garlic in my gazpacho…not sure why, maybe it was the way Big Man´s sister taught me to make it? Appreciate you reading this one, I know meat is not your thing!

6. TheDorsetFinca July 10, 2011 at 19:38 #

Oh my goodness… that looks amazing… any excuse and my husband will bbq (or Braai as we call it – being of Rhodesian/Zimbabwean background) anything he can find!!! I am forwarding this on to all the family!

• chicaandaluza July 10, 2011 at 21:45 #

I love that there is so much braai-ing (is it a verb!) in South African cooking. Am honoured that you want to pass it on! It was easy peasy but oh so delicious…

7. Tandy July 11, 2011 at 08:27 #

I have never cooked with goat or eaten it but this sounds quite delicious! I keep Dukka in my spice drawer for the odd occasions I feel like cooking with it 🙂

• chicaandaluza July 11, 2011 at 21:49 #

I had only had goat curry prior to living here, but young goat is exactly like lamb in flavour (well, almost!). Dukka is great to keep on hand, I´ve only recently discovered it.

8. fati's recipes July 11, 2011 at 09:02 #

Yum, I LOVE za’tar! 😀

• chicaandaluza July 11, 2011 at 21:50 #

I think you put me on to it in one of your blogs! It was new to me and I love it too now 🙂

9. ambrosiana July 11, 2011 at 09:55 #

I love lamb and zatar!!!!!!!!!!!! You got me with this recipe!! I put zatar on almost everything from cheese, veggies, bread and oil, yougurt! With lamb is superb!!!

• chicaandaluza July 11, 2011 at 21:50 #

I think I was one of the last people on earth on the zatar bandwagon .- it´s fairly new to me but I´m loving it too!

10. spicegirlfla July 11, 2011 at 14:45 #

I will honestly say I’ve never had goat! But I have had zatar and knowing how those spices taste, I can only imagine how this would be. The meat looks so very tender and a squeeze of lemon juice over it sounds so very simple and delicious!

• chicaandaluza July 11, 2011 at 21:52 #

Goat is not that common everywhere but I read that more people in the world eat goat than lamb – I guess it can survive in harsher conditions. It tastes very, very similar to lamb though. And it was very tender and juicy and the lemon juice just finishes it off…yum!

11. Christina July 11, 2011 at 15:37 #

Oh man…this looks super delicious! I have never tried goat before…I bet it tastes amazing! 🙂

• chicaandaluza July 11, 2011 at 21:53 #

It´s not easy to buy goat everywhere in the world, but a little piece of young lamb would work just as well and tastes very similar. We get more goat than lamb here – they like scrabbling around in the mountains!

12. Rachel July 11, 2011 at 19:30 #

Yum… I get my za’atar when I visit my sister outside of Boston. There’s an Armenian neighborhood near her and the small markets all smell wonderful. One has a wall of spices in little packages, all rather artisanal. And in their bakery they just mash some za’atar with a little olive oil and spread it on pita. That’s where I get my sumac as well. I have to stop now – I’m getting hungry!

• chicaandaluza July 11, 2011 at 21:54 #

I feel like I was the last person to taste za´atar. I had to get my mum to make it for me as we can´t get hold of sumac….your sister´s Armenian neighbourhood nearby sounds wonderful. Would love to get “lost” there for a few hours!

13. Karen July 11, 2011 at 20:18 #

The goat looks very moist and must have been tender. My husband and I love goat and I’m going to see if I can find some at our farmers market. I don’t have za’atar but do have sumac and could improvise a little bit.

• chicaandaluza July 11, 2011 at 21:56 #

Aha – you´re one of the few people who can get hold of goat it seems! If you have sumac, bet you could make it taste extra wonderful…although it´s great just sprinkled with salt and roasted or barbecued! Am off to check out your Summer Thyme Martini now….:)

14. JamieAnne July 11, 2011 at 21:02 #

Lovely! 🙂 I’m not sure I’ve ever eaten goat. It looks moist and flavorful though!

• chicaandaluza July 11, 2011 at 21:57 #

I´ll send you a leg!! Tastes very much like lamb, so you could eat that and pretend it was goat!

15. kathyme July 15, 2011 at 22:17 #

Hi Chica,
    What a wonderful blog you have here. Looking forward to following the progression of your home in Spain. We have something in common; I also love BBC Good Food and Olive magazine-which is very expensive here in the U.S. The shoulder of goat looks delicious, I definitely have to try it. Kat

• chicaandaluza July 16, 2011 at 09:46 #

Well thank you for your kind words! Glad you are enjoying what you have seen. I had 3 years´subscriptions to Good Food Magazine but it got too pricey and I noticed that after a while the recipes started to get repeated…so now I just use the (very good) web site! Take care and come back soon….

16. salima aqiqah December 18, 2015 at 04:19 #

barbecue is always arouse your appetite: D