Breakfast On The Beach

22 Jul

Better than a Breakast Bap!

Big Man and I decided that we would have a little day away from mountain and head down to the beach.  We would go for lunch in a local restaurant we know near the spot we like, but decided to have breakfast on the beach.

For once, we were organised, and made this plan the night before, so I decided to prepare something ready for the morning.

I defrosted a sheet of puff pastry and folded the edges over to create a little rim.  I baked this in a hot oven for about 10 minutes until it was just starting to turn brown.

For a filling I beat two of our free range eggs with two tablespoon of milk, seasoning and a cup full of chopped wilted chard (just the green part) with the excess water squeezed out.

I poured this into the pastry “case” and baked for another 10 minutes or so until it was set.  It looked lovely when it came out of the oven, but I didn´t take the snap until the next morning when it looked a little less crusty and flaky.  Nonetheless, it was delicious cold and we didn´t even get any sand in it!

PS. Bet you´re glad I spared you a photo of us eating it on the beach…

34 Responses to “Breakfast On The Beach”

1. Rachel July 22, 2011 at 01:56 #

Lovely! I can’t imagine going to the beach (too hot to consider it and our lakes are almost dry from the drought), but I can imagine eating this!! Sort of quiche-y I’m thinking? Mmmmm!!!

• chicaandaluza July 22, 2011 at 12:49 #

Very quiche-y! The beach was lovely – a nice breeze and the water was lovely!

2. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 22, 2011 at 03:16 #

Ha, ha. You’re too funny. I love the foresight though. I need to think this way for our upcoming trip!

• chicaandaluza July 22, 2011 at 12:50 #

Honest rather than funny! I had to spare you all…breakfast was yummy 🙂

3. TheDorsetFinca July 22, 2011 at 07:40 #

Looks amazingly delicious… beats cheerios any day!

4. chaiselongue1 July 22, 2011 at 08:15 #

A delicious idea for a breakfast on the beach and for using up the chard mountain we can’t keep up with….I’d have liked to see the beach too, even if you’re too shy to photograph yourselves eating there!

• chicaandaluza July 22, 2011 at 12:51 #

Good point – next time I´ll show you the beach! We´re trying to invent 101 recipes for using up the chard 🙂

5. Cinnamin July 22, 2011 at 09:17 #

Looks yummy! Kinda like quiche…

6. fati's recipes July 22, 2011 at 09:53 #

Quite the contrary, we demand photos!! 😉

7. Tandy July 22, 2011 at 10:10 #

what a brilliant idea! Hope you enjoyed the beach 🙂

• chicaandaluza July 22, 2011 at 12:53 #

The beach was lovely – it´s not too far, but we don´t get down there that often. When we do though, we really appreciate it.

8. spicegirlfla July 22, 2011 at 14:03 #

I love early morning trips to the beach!! Like you, I don’t get there that often and when I do, I always wish I had the foresight to plan ahead and bring along a breakfast! This is a great idea as it’s a portable meal in one, good warm or room temperature!

• chicaandaluza July 22, 2011 at 23:25 #

Portable indeed – like a little edible laptop!

9. ambrosiana July 22, 2011 at 18:37 #

Ah!! Colazione al mare!!! What a cool and nice idea of having breakfast on the beach!!! Your recipe sound and look yummy!!!!

10. TBM July 22, 2011 at 18:59 #

Next time, I’m coming over for breakfast. Looks wonderful, but everything you make looks great.

11. florence and freddie July 22, 2011 at 22:21 #

Hi Chica. My kind of breakfast. Looks delicious. Have a great weekend.
    Florence x

12. Karen July 23, 2011 at 15:02 #

From the mountains to the beach…what a lovely day you must have had. Bravo for planning ahead for your lovely breakfast.

• chicaandaluza July 23, 2011 at 16:51 #

It was rare – I´m not usually that organised, but worth it! And yes, it was a lovely day 🙂

13. greatestwealth July 23, 2011 at 23:02 #

Mmmm that looks so delicious! It reminds me of Turkish spinach borek!

• chicaandaluza July 23, 2011 at 23:43 #

You´re right – hadn´t thought of it, but it was very similar!

14. JamieAnne July 24, 2011 at 00:58 #

Yum!!!

15. foodblogandthedog July 24, 2011 at 17:42 #

You didn’t do the beach at the weekend did you? Fighting for space with all the families and their tables, umbrellas, chairs, coolboxes and paella dishes. So funny to watch though! I love the breeze down there, I haven’t actually been this year. Breakfast sounds like a great idea, before the crowds and the sun isn’t as strong. Maybe I should think about a picnic, acelgas quiche sounds perfect!!

• chicaandaluza July 24, 2011 at 18:20 #

No, we were wise and went mid week – it was a little busy, but not hectic!

16. Fired Up Cooking SA July 28, 2011 at 14:25 #

Days like this, making a good memory – that’s what life is all about! Love the breakfast quiche, looks so easy and delicious 🙂

• chicaandaluza July 28, 2011 at 16:29 #

I agree, making new and happy memories is wonderful!

17. ....RaeDi August 3, 2011 at 01:16 #