Cherry and Watermelon Granizada

25 Jul

So pretty, so good....

A granizada in Spain is rather like a granita in Italy, or a water ice elsewhere.  This drink was probably more the texture of a slushy sorbet, so didn´t know what to call it!

We had friends from the UK to stay for a week, and whilst eating and drinking we tried to balance out some of the inevitable excesses with plenty of fruit and salad.

To make this drink I whizzed up (with my stick blender in a jug) about 6 large ices cubes made from the slightly cooked pitted cherries I had prepared a couple of weeks ago for Cherry Jam with a large chunk of sweet watermelon (about a quarter of a small one) and a few leaves of mint.

Guess what colour my favourite summer tablecloth is?!

So easy, so fresh, and next time I´ll add a little cava as inspired by spicegirlfla and her Chilled Mixed Berry and Prosecco Soup.  Cheers!!

41 Responses to “Cherry and Watermelon Granizada”

1. florence and freddie July 25, 2011 at 12:03 #

Hi Chica. This drink looks so refreshing. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards Florence x

2. ambrosiana July 25, 2011 at 13:36 #

What an amazing and refreshing drink!!! Love the idea of pairing watermelon with cherries!!! Your photos looks stunning!

3. spicegirlfla July 25, 2011 at 13:58 #

Mmmm… I’d love one of these right now! Nothing is more perfect than having a refreshing fruit drink in these hot summer days! The color is gorgeous, so rich. I love that you pared cherries with watermelon, I’d never have thought of that! Thanks for the mention!

• chicaandaluza July 25, 2011 at 14:48 #

You´re welcome, wish I´d thought of putting the cava in before I´d drunk it!

4. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 25, 2011 at 15:46 #

You make such wonderful drinks!

5. Eileen Dunlop July 25, 2011 at 16:02 #

ooh How I am missing your cooking! Ex

6. Rachel July 25, 2011 at 16:03 #

Oh yes, please, may I have a tub of this? It looks wonderful… and we all need to stay hydrated, now don’t we? (grin) Mmmm!!

• chicaandaluza July 25, 2011 at 17:15 #

Just packing it up now…. 🙂

• Rachel July 27, 2011 at 13:23 #

I’d pay duty… Mmmm!

• chicaandaluza July 27, 2011 at 17:13 #

Definitely would be worth it 🙂

7. thecompletecookbook July 25, 2011 at 16:52 #

Oh YUMMY! What a fabulous healthy fresh drink.
    Stick blenders are the best! Not sure what we did before them.

• chicaandaluza July 25, 2011 at 17:15 #

Lots of elbow grease or a pestle and mortar I think! Much easier now 🙂

8. TheDorsetFinca July 25, 2011 at 19:12 #

I want one now! 🙂

9. JamieAnne July 25, 2011 at 22:25 #

This looks fruity and fresh. Yum.

10. Karen July 25, 2011 at 22:35 #

The color of the drink is just incredible. Your friends must have hated to leave…you make such wonderful sounding things.

• chicaandaluza July 25, 2011 at 22:58 #

It was a stunning colour and we tried for ages to come up with a better sounding name for the drink to match the colour! I think they were a little sad to go 😦

11. Tandy July 26, 2011 at 09:03 #

now I am missing summer 🙂

• chicaandaluza July 26, 2011 at 13:22 #

I´ll be saying the same when you´re enjoying it….!

12. Cinnamin July 26, 2011 at 11:29 #

Ooh this is simply gorgeous! Summer in a glass. Must try making a granita-type drink with some local fruit

• chicaandaluza July 26, 2011 at 13:22 #

You´re right – summer in a glass. Guess it would be good with mango pulp and lime perhaps?!

13. AnaLuciaSilva July 26, 2011 at 23:44 #

I have to give this a try ’cause it looks delicious 😉

14. Jane-Anne Hobbs July 31, 2011 at 21:27 #

What a lovely refreshing looking drink. Looks very healthy too!

• chicaandaluza July 31, 2011 at 22:54 #

It was so good and, I´m sure, bursting with vitamins! Thank you for visiting and commenting, most kind.

15. ....RaeDi August 3, 2011 at 01:12 #

Cherry, cherries, cannot get enough of the cherries, wait until you see my blog posts, am going to start posting as soon as I have caught up with all the reading….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza August 3, 2011 at 09:15 #

Am heading over to your blog in a moment as I see you´ve already posted some wonderful cherry recipes!

16. Fired Up Cooking SA August 14, 2011 at 18:36 #

What a lovely idea! I’ll try this in summer when our tropical fruits are in season – mango, litchi, etc. thanks, Chica 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 15, 2011 at 10:25 #

Think mango has to be my all time favourite fruit – an ice made with mango would be amazing. 🙂

17. Promenade Claire June 21, 2012 at 12:14 #

Refreshing and tasty! I just need it to warm up a bit now 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 21, 2012 at 15:16 #

Yes, I slept with a big quilt and an extra blanket in London. Last night here in Spain it was a sheet which was thrown off in the night!

• Promenade Claire June 21, 2012 at 16:19 #

Guess who I just met at the taj mahal …… 🙂

18. obatherbalpalingmurah August 28, 2015 at 06:25 #

1. A Challenging Challenge | Chica Andaluza - August 16, 2011

[…] most beautiful post. This was tough, I´m not an expert photographer, but I chose my Cherry and Watermelon Granizada, as the colours evoke summer in a glass for […]

2. Cherry and Banana Cake « Chica Andaluza - June 21, 2012

[…] like you need a little drink to go with your cake, why not try a glass of Cherry Brandy or a Cherry and Watermelon Granizada. Don´t you just love summer fruits?! Like this:LikeBe the first to like […]