Creamy Mussels with Garlic and Bacon

27 Jul

Delicious!

It was another day for Fish Man to visit and I bought a kilo of mussels.  Such a bargain food, so easy to prepare, and such a wonderful taste.

I have been inspired by some of the recipes posted by Olives and Artichokes here and here and often make a tomato based soup version, as you can see here.

Today, I decided to use up some of my bacon from the UK, although I could have used lardons or jamon instead.

Time for a wash and brush up...

After cleaning my mussels, I lightly fried in olive oil two cloves of crushed garlic, one onion fairly finely chopped and 4 rashers of chopped bacon.

When these had all softened I added a glass of white wine and simmered for about 5 minutes before adding the mussels and a couple of tablespoons of chopped parsley and putting the lid on.

A few minutes later the mussels had all opened, so I took the pot off the heat, stirred in 100ml of single or pouring cream and that was it.

I served it in big bowls with spoons and crusty bread to soak up all the garlicky, creamy juices.  ¡Muy rico!

24 Responses to “Creamy Mussels with Garlic and Bacon”

1. chaiselongue1 July 27, 2011 at 10:41 #

Muy rico, indeed, y delicioso también! Mussels are such a treat yet so easy to prepare and the cream adds an extra deliciousness, reminding me of dishes I’ve eaten in Normandy. Thanks for the links too!

• chicaandaluza July 27, 2011 at 17:12 #

¡Anda, hables español! Yes, it´s quite a northern French style dish…should have used cider!

2. Food,Photography & France July 27, 2011 at 11:04 #

Great mussel recipe – I live on the Atlantic coast of France so mussel, oysters and shellfish are a big part of my diet. Very cool site.

• chicaandaluza July 27, 2011 at 17:13 #

Thyat part of France is on our lsit to visit – we onlyt whizz past in the car on our way to the UK. Thanks for stopping by – loved your photos too!

3. spicegirlfla July 27, 2011 at 14:35 #

I adore mussels and rarely make them at home since I really don’t have access to quality mussels. I like the simplicity of your recipe showcasing the great tasting mussels. I’ve never had the addition of cream, it makes it sound so decadent!!

• chicaandaluza July 27, 2011 at 17:14 #

I´ve only really started using lots of shellfish (and fish generally) since I´ve now got it so readily available. Best to wait until you visit the coast to enjoy the good stuff!

4. thecompletecookbook July 27, 2011 at 15:58 #

Fabulous recipe! I love the idea of bacon – don’t think I have added it to mussels before. Me thinks me must do that next time.

• chicaandaluza July 27, 2011 at 17:15 #

I suppose it´s a strange combination – a different kind of surf n turf!

5. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 27, 2011 at 16:53 #

I always have a twinge of jealousy when I read about fish man! These look fabulous. I love the bacon. Fresh mussels are one of my favorites.

• chicaandaluza July 27, 2011 at 17:16 #

I´ll have a word with him and see how far he´s prepared to drive 😉 We love mussels and here they are generally pretty cheap.

6. TheDorsetFinca July 27, 2011 at 17:06 #

I love mussels and your recipe looks delicious. I wish I had a Fish Man! I recently tried mussels with basil oil and they were amazing!

• chicaandaluza July 27, 2011 at 17:17 #

The basil oil with mussles sounds good. I have some I made last summer, will have to give this a go. I will have to set up fan club soon for my little Fish Man!

7. ambrosiana July 27, 2011 at 19:32 #

I love your recipe!! It reminds me of the recipe of Clam Chowder, but your version is way much better since it uses fresh mussles and better quality ingredients!!!

• chicaandaluza July 27, 2011 at 20:07 #

I guess it dos have a touch of that – mind you I adore a good chowder too!

8. JamieAnne July 27, 2011 at 21:20 #

This looks wonderful.

9. Tandy July 28, 2011 at 09:33 #

I like this a LOT!

10. The Gourmet Wino July 28, 2011 at 15:03 #

You are SO right – fast, easy, and wonderful! You can’t go wrong with quality, fresh mussles, and there are endless ways to prepare them. Looks delicioius!

• chicaandaluza July 28, 2011 at 16:33 #

In most of the bars here they just steam them open, chill them and serve them with lemon and pepper. To be honest, they´re great that way too, the fresh taste of the mussels shines through – delicious!

11. ....RaeDi August 3, 2011 at 01:10 #

Oh My, My Mouth is watering! I know what we are having soon….RaeDi

12. Fired Up Cooking SA August 14, 2011 at 18:16 #

We’re off to the North Coast of Kwazulunatal soon for a weekend – guess what I am going to cook on our fire when we’re camping! If I can get hold of some mussels, that is. Great recipe, thanks, Chica 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 15, 2011 at 10:24 #

Ooh – they would have a little extra smoky taste which would be fantastic. The places you go on trips always sound so exciting…am off to look up Kwazulunatal now!