Ham, Cheese and Mustard Pasties

8 Jan

One of the lovely things about Street Food in England is that you can eat your way around the world in the space of 100m. From Asia to America, around the Med and back to Blighty – it’s all there for you to enjoy.

Ham Cheese & Mustard Pasties (13)

A dish which has been cooked for hundreds of years in England is the Cornish Pasty, and whilst purists will tell you exactly what should and should not go into one, I think most people agree that when made well, they are delicious, filling and portable. Great picnic or street food.

This is by no means a Cornish Pasty – it was made from the leftovers of some spiced ham. And as we move further into January, I am sure many of you will have cooked a ham for the Christmas table so it’s great for using up leftovers.  This recipe is a great one to prepare to take with you on a winter walk to burn off some of the excesses of the festive season. God forbid you should get hungry! If you don’t have ham, this would be great with leftover vegetables or any roasted meats.

This was my first ever attempt at making Rough Puff Pastry and I’m so glad I went for it. It was easy to make and the flavour was far superior to shop bought puff pastry. Do give it a go!

Ham Cheese & Mustard Pasties (5)

This makes about 8 medium (but filling) pasties

Rough Puff Pastry

• 300g room temperature (but not soft) butter
  • 300g plain flour
  • ¾ teaspoon fine salt
  • Up to about 200ml cold water

Mix the salt into the sieved flour and cut the butter into small chunks (about 1cm) and into the flour. Rub the flour and butter together gently but not to a fine texture – you still want to see chunks of butter.  Gradually add the water (how much you need will depend on your flour), mixing with your hands as you go until it comes together to form a dough.

Wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 20 mins. After this time (when you can be getting on with the filling), take it out and roll it gently into a long rectangle. Fold it into thirds, roll again, fold again and put it back (wrapped) into the fridge until you are ready to use it.

Ham Cheese & Mustard Pasties (8)

Pasty Filling

• 400ml of your boiling stock from the ham (or any stock, or milk)
  • 3tbs plain flour
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • About a cup of grated hard cheese (I used a strong cheddar)
  • 1 tbs English mustard
  • Black pepper
  • 200g approx. of chopped cold ham
  • About a cup of finely chopped left over cooked vegetables
  • A beaten egg

Put the stock (or milk) into a pan with the flour and oil and heat gently whilst whisking. It will start to thicken to the texture of a pouring custard. Continue to cook for a couple of minutes then add the cheese, mustard and pepper and then stir in the meat and vegetables. Put into the fridge to chill and thicken slightly.

When you are ready to assemble the pasties, heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, divide the dough into about 8 pieces (or less if you want bigger pasties), and roll each piece into a circle. Fill one side with the filling (do not over fill), fold over the pastry and press both sides together. You can either crimp the edges or press with the tines of a fork. I have a handy Empanada maker that I use.

Brush the tops of the pasties with beaten egg and place them on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper. Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy when then are golden brown. These are great both hot and cold – take care not to burn yourself if you can’t resist sampling them straight out of the oven!

66 Responses to “Ham, Cheese and Mustard Pasties”

1. Ria January 8, 2014 at 20:35 #

I snaffled a few of these – absolutely delicious!! xx

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 21:04 #

I need to make more soon!

• Ria January 10, 2014 at 17:01 #

I’ll be round!

2. Mad Dog January 8, 2014 at 20:52 #

Yum – I’m quite convinced that there’s a connection with Cornwall, pasties, Galicia and the empanada… Celtic peoples with the atlantic in between.
    Very good looking pastry and filling 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 21:05 #

I think you’re right – and don’t forget the bagpipes!

• Mad Dog January 9, 2014 at 21:43 #

Yes those too!
        I’m fairly sure the Romans brought and grew saffron in England, but there’s an awful lot of saffron used in Cornish baking that’s not evident in England…

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 22:31 #

I think you’re right…think of Saffron Waldon…. wonder why it didn’t trickle through to our cooking nowadays?

• Mad Dog January 9, 2014 at 22:53 #

It is weird – the town Saffron Walden actually changed its name from Chipping Walden as it was a centre of saffron growing in the UK.

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 23:17 #

I remembered something about it but was a bit vague on the detail – it’s good to learn something new (and how to spell it properly too)!

3. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial January 8, 2014 at 22:07 #

Chica, they look and sound delicious – wish I had one for breakfast right now! I love that you’ve used homemade pastry and cooked a filling, rather than just putting ham and cheese in!

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 21:05 #

It was a first for me with this kind of pastry but I was so pleased with it!

4. 76sanfermo January 8, 2014 at 22:57 #

Amazing recipes,REALLY! Being Italian I already knew ossobuco ,but the other two fascinated me…
    Thank you , feliz año!

5. Promenade Claire January 8, 2014 at 23:26 #

Hat’s off to you for making puff pastry! I’m still in frozen mode….well my puff pastry is ) They look splendid, and I now want to make pies (plural!!)

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 21:14 #

Well, it was only rough puff so a bit quicker but it seemed “puffy” to me when it was cooked and I’d definitely make it again!

6. limeandbarley January 9, 2014 at 00:31 #

If I made these id have a seriously burnt roof of the mouth. Wouldn’t be able to wait for them to cool! They sound delicious. Good on you for making the pastry!

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 21:14 #

I ate some hot and some cold so I also had burnt fingers and mouth!

7. cecilia January 9, 2014 at 01:56 #

I have been looking for a cornish pasty pastry recipe. I am thrilled it is so easy! these pasty’s look great.. love them. i will try something like this very soon now that i have the pastry recipe… c

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 21:15 #

With your amazing butter they would be the best ever!

• cecilia January 9, 2014 at 22:17 #

Can’t wait to start milking again! Miss all that home made dairy stuff.. c

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 22:31 #

And we can but dream of it. Stay warm!!

8. Florence January 9, 2014 at 04:12 #

Yum! pasties. Love cheese and onion pasties or pies….meat and potatoe. These are the things that I miss. Thanks for the reminder 🙂 Happy New Year to you all!!!
    Florence xx

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 21:15 #

If I could get butter to stay unmelted in Spain ‘d make them for you!

9. Tandy | Lavender and Lime January 9, 2014 at 05:01 #

Well done on making your own rough puff. It is so worth it 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 21:17 #

I surprised myself at how uncomplicated it was and then at how good it tasted!

10. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen January 9, 2014 at 05:35 #

Well, now you’ve gone and done it! It’s late here and I’m imagining biting into hot puff pastry, lol! I’ve been afraid to try making it, but you’re giving me the courage to try.. your photos show that they turned out just lovely!! xx

11. thehungrymum January 9, 2014 at 06:45 #

newest follower saying hi 🙂 You had me at cheese…

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 10:36 #

Welcome on board – and yes, I’m a huge cheese fan too!

12. TBM January 9, 2014 at 10:58 #

Since moving here, I’ve become addicted to these.

13. gardenfreshtomatoes January 9, 2014 at 11:23 #

Really? That’s all you did to make the pastry? Wow…even I have time for that!
    I should go rummage through the leftovers and see what can be stuffed into a pocket! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 21:26 #

I know – how easy was that?! And I’m all about the easy route….!

14. cookinginsens January 9, 2014 at 13:00 #

Wow, they look so good!

15. Karen January 9, 2014 at 15:56 #

Your pasties sound terrific. For some reason, I thought it was much more complicated to make puff pastry…I’m sure your homemade dough was delicious.

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 21:28 #

I think the full version of proper puff pastry takes a lot longer – but to me this rough puff was just as good and oh so easy!

16. narf77 January 9, 2014 at 18:17 #

While I won’t be cooking up a spiced ham in order to make these babies (one “ham” on Serendipity Farm is enough methinks 😉 ), I love the look of this pastry. I need something quick to rustle up last minute for Stevie-boy and his cheese fetish. The man would eat cheese for every meal if I didn’t inject a few vegetables into the equation occasionally. Never seen anything like it. We buy 2kg of the stuff a fortnight and he is the only one that eats it…and he has been known to snarf it as a late night snack straight from the fridge in a large chunk ;). I wonder if this is like my Gran’s rough puff pastry? She made the most delicious things out of it. Now I am excited! Good flaky pastry in under an hour? You are ON! 🙂
    Nothing warms the cockles like a hand full of pasty…you can be wandering around the garden gesticulating (like someone who is just about to do all kinds of things but really is only going to scoff that pasty as soon as the object of their hand wafting approach has buggered off and let them eat it) or you can be beavering away studying or you can be tap dancing if you like, it can all be done with a pasty in the other hand because unlike pies, they don’t drip! They are portable happiness in pastry and they are my favourite way of getting some good pastry into my pie hole. No pies for me. Might have to call it a “pasty hole” from now on :).
    I wonder if I could approximate this with buckwheat flour and coconut oil…a step too far methinks 😦 Oh well, I can look at your images and imagine the heaven that is butter :). Might even stick it on as a desktop! I can drool vicariously through your efforts. “Try these folks, they won’t let you down!” (And you can fix the plumbing, pat small children on the head, fondle your husband WHATEVER you want to do while you are holding them and be sure that they won’t let you down by spattering the antimacassars 😉 )

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2014 at 21:31 #

Now you’ve got me thinking about how else this could be made, I think the puffy thing happens as the water in the butter evaporates and makes steam but I am guessing other fats contain water too? And I’vr made veggie ones since with mushrooms and a cheesy béchamel (not vegan though). I was not tap dancing at the time but I did have a bit of a jiggle round the kitchen though to a selection of disco songs (I think Boney M and Hot Chocolate – You Sexy Thing – were amongst the selection)!

• narf77 January 10, 2014 at 01:52 #

I tend to dance around the kitchen (note to self… try VERY hard not to use any words containing the letter that comes after “O” and before “Q” as Earl ate that keyboard note when I was outside decorating the deck…sigh…) but usually to Queen or Led err…some other good 70’s band 😉 I am going to give it the old college try with buckwheat and some olive oil and then with some coconut butter. I recon the coconut butter would work the best as it would react the same way as butter would. I will let you know if it works out. If I remain silent, it didn’t and shall remain hushed (er…looking for a substitute word…hushed in an elevated way 😉 ). “BOLLOCKS EARL!” sigh…lucky we are going to town today and can get a new keyboard… mutter…mutter…

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2014 at 10:03 #

Reminds me of the programme Countdown “I’ll have a P please Bob”!

• narf77 January 10, 2014 at 17:10 #

Early bypasses Bob and went straight to the source! I have a nice new Keyboard that is nice and quick on the upclick (no toast crumbs in between the keys…yet…) so narf7 is flying along with all the PPPPPpppp action she wants :). My girls send a “Hi” your way. They liked your comment 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 11, 2014 at 10:09 #

PPPPPPerfect 🙂

• narf77 January 11, 2014 at 17:36 #

🙂

17. Michelle January 10, 2014 at 04:25 #

Good for you! I have never tried puff or even rough puff, but keep intending to. Happy new year!

18. PendleStitches January 10, 2014 at 11:06 #

Lovely! And educational comments to boot! What more do you need? 🙂

19. Charles January 10, 2014 at 23:58 #

Stupid purists – I had some really angry people raging at me on my YouTube channel over my “Cornish Pasties” and “Eccles Cakes”. Nitpicking… seriously, get over it I think to myself! Do love a ham and cheese slice or pasty – never had it with mustard in before. Must be a nice addition to help lift up the flavour a bit!

• Chica Andaluza January 11, 2014 at 10:09 #

Ooh cheese and mustard is a big favourite of mine!

20. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 11, 2014 at 03:45 #

I think the only time I’ve had an English pastie was when I was nine and we were in England. I remember loving them. Love this…and particularly the fact that the pastry is so simple, and also that the pastie has cheese and mustard in it. And guess what? I have leftover ham in the freezer. Yum!

• Chica Andaluza January 11, 2014 at 10:10 #

I think there’s a pasty waiting to be made in your kitchen!

21. TheDorsetFinca January 11, 2014 at 08:35 #

Pasties, chica style! I love it!

22. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide January 12, 2014 at 17:50 #

We saw these all over when we were in Ireland and Scotland. We never got them though. I know shame on us. But now our regrets are gone, we can make them at home.

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2014 at 20:45 #

Yes, they’re very popular! Hope you ejoy them if you make them (In your new kitchen) 🙂

23. Bluejellybeans January 13, 2014 at 21:31 #

Una fantástica receta, Tanya! Puff pastry es hojaldre, no? Yo siempre lo compro ya hecho y estirado, pero tu lo haces parecer tan sencillo que me parece que me animare a hacerla muy pronto. 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 14, 2014 at 19:45 #

Sí, es hojaldre con muchísimo mantequilla! Pero. Merece la pena hacerlo, por lo menos una vez 🙂

24. kathryningrid January 14, 2014 at 07:06 #

I’ll take two, please. Or ten. 😀
    xoxo

25. nancy@jamjnr.com January 14, 2014 at 10:55 #

My other half is Cornish and I’m not allowed to call anything I make a Cornish Pastie – it’s always just pastry with a filling unless it’s made and eaten in Cornwall apparently. Whatever…..ham, cheese, mustard and home made pastry is heaven on a plate.

• Chica Andaluza January 14, 2014 at 20:00 #

Makes me even more relieved I didn’t call it a Cornish Pasty – isn’t there something about whether they have carrots or not (not, methinks)?!

26. Maulana Angga February 20, 2015 at 08:23 #

they look and sound delicious , wish I had one for breakfast right now! xixi

1. Beef and Mushroom Pie | Chica Andaluza - January 13, 2014

[…] with the success of my recent rough puff pastry I decided to use it again in a warming pie.  Of course, I turned to my pal Mad Dog for recipe […]

2. Caramelised Red Onion Tart with Jamón and Stilton | Chica Andaluza - January 30, 2014

[…] WordPress tells me that the top search on my blog, pretty much constantly, is for Olive Oil Pastry. Those of you who regularly follow my blog will know that until recently I was a self-confessed pastry cheat, using ready made pastry most of the time. In the summer though, I experimented with the pastry made using olive oil instead of butter and in the autumn, with delicious English butter available, I tried out the deliciously naughty Rough Puff Pastry. […]